What fee does the refrigerator at the Pop cost?

Spike-in-Berlin

We are planning our vacation at the World that begins in 4 weeks and includes 6 nights at the Pop and 4 nights at the Polynesian. We read in the official Disney-site that the refrigerator in the Pop costs an extra fee but couldn't find anywhere on the site how much this fee is. Does anyone know?

_Scar

The refrigerator situation is not a rip-off. You know the cost in advance, you decide whether you're gonna pay for it or do without.

A rip-off is when a get surprised by a sudden charge or over-charge.

This is exactly what a rip-off is.

The price theyre charging is not worth it and a deceptive way to make money on top of their outrageous prices. They aren't robbing you at gunpoint or baiting you into a bear trap, but they're making you get something most people need for certain food items they must eat or for a typical convenience and taking advantage of it.

Upvote 0

jmvd20

Perhaps the lack of a fridge as a standard item in each room is part of why the resorts are labeled "value" by Disney. The value resorts provide a way for people to spend less money staying at Disney, this is a "value" to the guest as they may be able to go more often, or stay longer when they do so. However, for the reduced nightly price some sacrifices must be made in terms of standard offerrings in the rooms.

Value resorts offer less ammenities than moderates which offer less than deluxe. Thus all guests have a choice, stay at a value and forget the fridge (or pay for one), or stay at a moderate where you get one.

Seems to me like the "entitlement mentality" may be those who choose to stay at a value but expect the same services and ammenities as a moderate/deluxe.

Upvote 0

_Scar

Expecting to have a fridge is now being endulged?

It's just a fridge! Not some deluxe ammenity that only the people who shell out big bucks should get.

"Entitlement mentality". Puh-lease. It's a fridge, not a whirlpool tub.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Perhaps the lack of a fridge as a standard item in each room is part of why the resorts are labeled "value" by Disney. The value resorts provide a way for people to spend less money staying at Disney, this is a "value" to the guest as they may be able to go more often, or stay longer when they do so. However, for the reduced nightly price some sacrifices must be made in terms of standard offerrings in the rooms.

Value resorts offer less ammenities than moderates which offer less than deluxe. Thus all guests have a choice, stay at a value and forget the fridge (or pay for one), or stay at a moderate where you get one.

Seems to me like the "entitlement mentality" may be those who choose to stay at a value but expect the same services and ammenities as a moderate/deluxe.

Really!?!

I DON'T expect a fridge when I stay at value resort (I'm well aware of the fact they don't come standard) but if I choose to pay for a fridge I would like the price to be a little reasonable (even for Disney). How the heck is that an entitlement mentality!?!
I thought $10 + tax per night was pushing it... now it's even more!

Upvote 0

NedLand

Candidly, I don’t believe there is such a thing as an entitlement mentality. To me it appears to be a phrase people toss around to dismiss someone’s views without having to go through the work of actually thinking about the issue and entrench themselves in their own narrow view.

I’m merely questioning what I see as something inconsistent with what usually happens on this discussion board. I’m a little surprised that none of the usual suspects have popped in here and taken the opportunity to give themselves the thrill of looking down their nose at someone.

Perhaps the thread title and the OP are considered innocent enough to be ignored. If one were to ask if they could avoid paying for parking at the parks by parking at DTD, for example, it might be different. Or it could be something else entirely.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Just as a note to the whole needed for medical purposes thing, I can tell you that there are some of those type of refrigerators that are MUCH smaller than the dorm style ones we are talking about here. They are just big enough to hold insulin and not anything else. I know this isnt 100% of the refrigerators they have but they do exist so if you ask for a refrigerator for medical purposes, you may end up with that. Just an FYI. Marie

Upvote 0

NedLand

Just as a note to the whole needed for medical purposes thing, I can tell you that there are some of those type of refrigerators that are MUCH smaller than the dorm style ones we are talking about here. They are just big enough to hold insulin and not anything else. I know this isnt 100% of the refrigerators they have but they do exist so if you ask for a refrigerator for medical purposes, you may end up with that. Just an FYI. Marie

Are they big enough for a six-pack?:p

Upvote 0

PalisadesPkteer

Of course you could stay at a Hotel outside Disney like the Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista that has a mini fridge and a microwave.

There are some good neighbor hotels with most of the same perks as Disney hotels and they have free fridge etc also. There are options.

Upvote 0

PalisadesPkteer

Belle,

What are some of the good neighbor hotels that offer same perks.

I believe the hotels (or most of them) on Hotel Plaza Blvd. fit this. The Sheraton Safari I think is one also? Of course the Pop Century with the current discount is most likely less $.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi Palisades, I dont see Sheraton Safari in either the 2010 Walt Disney World brochure I have or online in any of the information available to travel agents at all. Most of the hotels mentioned do have refrigerators, but as you said, especially with the discount Pop may be less expensive. Marie

Upvote 0
When money is involved, lie. Don't believe the hype, you won't go to hell

LIE, LIE, LIE. 10+ dollars a night is a ripoff!

You don't have to rent a fridge if you think it costs too much. You can always bring (or get) a cheap cooler for your things.

Once you start telling lies to save money, you go down a slippery slope. One day it is a lie about a cooler, the next day it is saying your 4 year old is 2. Then you 12 year old is 9. Pretty soon you are cramming 8 people into a Value resort. After all a trip to WDW is expensive! You need to save money where you can, right?:fork:

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

This is exactly what a rip-off is.

The price theyre charging is not worth it and a deceptive way to make money on top of their outrageous prices. They aren't robbing you at gunpoint or baiting you into a bear trap, but they're making you get something most people need for certain food items they must eat or for a typical convenience and taking advantage of it.

It's just a fridge! Not some deluxe ammenity that only the people who shell out big bucks should get.

I'm not crazy about the phrase, but I guess it fits. It seems this is a perfect of example of "entitlement mentality" ... you think you should have it and you get upset when it's not there.

And how in the world could it be "deceptive" if it's a well-known thing that fridges aren't standard at Value resorts? Where is the deception?

I've seen this mentality in other instances regarding Disney. There was the guy last year who complained to the general manager of Wilderness Lodge that free full breakfast wasn't offered at that resort. He called it crazy that they could charge so much per night for a room and not include breakfast, and he noted a dozen or so hotel less-expensive chains that do offer free breakfast. he really expected the WL general manager to tell him he was right and give him and every other guest a free breakfast.

Well, dude should've known there was no free breakfast there. He replies to this that he assumed there would be, since so many hotels do it that way. Well, I have to ask, when did any American business have to give every guest what they want every time that guest is mistaken???

And then there's the several people who've complained that their kids diapers or their nice dinner clothes were unavailable to them after they got off the airplane because Disney's Magical Express was handling and delivering the bags (you get your bags within about 3 hours of checking-in at your resort). It's pointed out to them that they received a DME instruction booklet and it says it in there very plainly, not even in fine print. The typical response was something like, "Yeh, well, I never read any of that stuff, it's stupid, they should just do it the way it "should" be done, who cares if they tell you it'll be different."

No business does things exactly as you hope they'd do it. They do it the way they do it. If you're OK with that, you're a satisfied customer. If you're not OK with it, you should vote with your wallet and not give them a dime of your money.

But if you give them your money either knowing what you won't get OR not bothering to pay attention to what you don't get, then you kind of gave up your right to righteous indignation. Knowledge is power. I don't buy a $50 paper shredder without checking out the specs first. So there's no wqay I spend $4,000 on a vacation without first finding out what I'm getting and what I'm not.

Upvote 0

jmvd20

Again, it is a "value" resort, you pay less money to stay there and as a result of paying less money there are less offerings than more expensive hotels. One of the things that is sacrificed as a result of paying less money per night is a refrigerator. Others have brought up the term "entitlement mentality", you can call it whatever you choose but the bottom line is that one cannot choose to spend less money for a room and then expect that room to have the same ammenities as a more expensive room. Thus would render the entire concept of a value resort moot.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

I don't know if you are driving or flying so this advise only works if driving. I have read that many people buy their own friege and bring it with them since it may end up costing about the same and this way you get to keep it. I don't know if you are allowed to bring outside appliances in but my guess is no...just a thought that can't hurt looking into.

We never travel anywhere without having a fridge in our room. It is just necessary for our kids to hav e their milk and juice at hand and using an ice bucket to store it doesn't cut it. Check the prices of Pop with the added $12 a night vs. a moderate. It may not be all that much more and you'd get the fridge, too. Just another idea.

Good luck.:)

Upvote 0

PalisadesPkteer

Thank you very much for answering my post Belle.

This just goes to show everyone that you are A1 plus! when it comes to being a good person you are tops.

I think I got the Sheraton Safari mixed up with a hotel on the Hotel Plaza Blvd.
Are most if not all the hotels on the Blvd good neigbor hotels?

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey Palisades, Thanks I try to help when I can. I dont like to make general statements like all of the hotels in this location are part of a certain grouping. If you send me the name of a hotel to check out, Id be more than happy to answer you on that specific hotel. The Downtown Disney hotels that are listed in the 2010 book are: Best Western Lake Buena Vista, Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa, Doubletree Guest Suites Resort, Hilton Resort, Regal Sun Resort and the Royal Plaza. There are good neighbor hotels in the Celebration/Kissimmee area, The Lake Buena Vista Area and in the International Drive Area listed as well. There are 20 offsite hotels which have the Good Neighbor designation. I spoke with Disney to confirm a few points, The ONLY hotel other than Disney's own that participates with EMH is the Hilton resort in Downtown Disney. All of the other onsite perks such as Disney transportation or meal plans are limited to Disney's own resorts. I did find the Sheraton Safari, it is in the Lake Buena Vista Area and is listed as a Good Neighbor property. Hope this helps! Marie

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

We never bother with a fridge. Disney has ice machines and we have a good cooler. As long as you put new ice in everyday and don't keep the room too warm everything is fine! Just sayin'...

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

I think you'd be surprised at the long list of standard amenities at Moderate resorts that are NOT at Value resorts. It goes a long way beyond refrigerators:

Moderate rooms are 314 sq. ft. (except CBR's, which are 340 sq. ft.)
Value rooms are 260 sq. ft. The 54 sq. ft. difference is about the size of 2 double beds.

Moderate rooms have 2 sinks (except CSR's rooms have 1).
Value rooms have 1 sink.

Moderate rooms have ceiling fans.
Value rooms don't have them.

Moderate resorts' bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
Value resorts' bus stops are uncovered.

Moderate resorts have multiple internal bus stops (except POFQ), meaning that no room is a far walk from the bus.
Values have only one bus stop/area.

Moderate resorts have pool towels at the main pool.
Value resorts don't (consistently) offer pool towels.

Moderate resorts have a table-service restaurant (except for POFQ) as well as a food court.
Value resorts have only a food court.

Moderate resorts offer some type of recreational activity (boat rental, bike rental, etc.).
Value resorts don't offer any of that.

Moderate resorts have a maximum room charge limit of $1,000.
Value resorts have a maximum room charge limit of $500.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom