Next-Gen queue testing at the Haunted Mansion

WDWFigment

Too bad they aren't rolling things like this out on a more permanent basis. I wonder what's the rationale behind that. Too difficult to retrofit without a more full refurbishment (a la Space Mountain?).

drossjr

looks cool but will it cause the line to back up when people dont pay attention to the people in front of them causing a log jam? that really grinds my gears! :fork:

Exprcoofto

Yup broke the news this morning at www.Twitter.com/livewdwupdates

It's nothing to fancy and was causing quite the confusion since the queue wasn't running. It's pretty simple but most people didn't take the time to read about it or stop to listen and figure it out. Nice concept, but even for a test it wasn't set up very good.

Avenger117

That actually looks pretty good. I'm a really big fan of these interactive queues being used in the new Fantasyland, especially considering how long the lines will be for all the new attractions. So far my only experience was the queue games on Space Mountain and I thought those were simple yet very fun.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Too bad they aren't rolling things like this out on a more permanent basis. I wonder what's the rationale behind that. Too difficult to retrofit without a more full refurbishment (a la Space Mountain?).

It is all part of the Fantasyland expansion work.

WDWFigment

It is all part of the Fantasyland expansion work.

I understand that. What I mean is if they're testing for Fantasyland in other locations, why not create the 'test' experiences in such a manner that they're permanent, as opposed to temporary?

It just seems like if the Next Gen thing is the way of the future, they would want to permanently incorporate it into as many attractions as possible, not just Fantasyland.

I'm just hoping the tests are still being run in June (unlikely, I know, but one can hope) because it looks like a neat little diversion.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
It's nothing to fancy and was causing quite the confusion since the queue wasn't running. It's pretty simple but most people didn't take the time to read about it or stop to listen and figure it out. Nice concept, but even for a test it wasn't set up very good.

I believe this is part of what the test is about. How do you get peoples attention in a queue? How 'in your face' does is need to be? Does it cause slow downs? Does the pressure of the people behind affect the ability to play?

This test seems to be more about the dynamics of the guests than the actual content of the game.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If anyone wants to see it in person, should be running today and tomorrow from 11am to 3pm.

Exprcoofto

I believe this is part of what the test is about. How do you get peoples attention in a queue? How 'in your face' does is need to be? Does it cause slow downs? Does the pressure of the people behind affect the ability to play?

This test seems to be more about the dynamics of the guests than the actual content of the game.

Unfortunately from what I saw (and I stood there for quite a while) it wasn't grabbing guests attention correctly. The intro sign about Dread and his family is rather small and without a big queue people didn't want to take time and stop to read it (especially since they would be blocking the people behind them). If there was a long line then it would work much better. The big wigs there were trying to figure out how to reconfigure the queue to make it a bit more packed for the interactive element.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Unfortunately from what I saw (and I stood there for quite a while) it wasn't grabbing guests attention correctly. The intro sign about Dread and his family is rather small and without a big queue people didn't want to take time and stop to read it (especially since they would be blocking the people behind them). If there was a long line then it would work much better. The big wigs there were trying to figure out how to reconfigure the queue to make it a bit more packed for the interactive element.

Yep this is why it's done in a test environment before it's rolled out on a permanent basis to an attraction.

Did you give any feedback?
The WDWMAGIC man on the ground was able to give some feedback.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I understand that. What I mean is if they're testing for Fantasyland in other locations, why not create the 'test' experiences in such a manner that they're permanent, as opposed to temporary?

The goal is to get this stuff running for Fantasyland, and I am assuming that the budget is not there to roll these things out to a permanent level in the test locations. The HM test is very temporary. It isn't up to a production level quality.

WDWGoof07

If this is any indication of what future queues will be like, I'm excited for the Next-Gen queue. I don't think they should try to retrofit existing queues for this (because some of them are already great), but this will definitely improve the experience. I like the setup they have here. The activity is a fun, little diversion that enhances the experience for those who choose to participate but doesn't take away from the atmosphere for guests who don't want to participate. WDI should take that into account for the real thing. For the real Next-Gen queue, I'd like to see these diversions have production values similar to the Kim Possible game in World Showcase. Make it flashy, but not too flashy, you know?

imagineer boy

I don't like the next gen queue thing. What happened to awesome immersive themeing? Looking at cool details and gags can entertain a guest more than video games.

muteki

I know this is an early test but I am not really "getting" it at this point. Seems a bit too intrusive and obvious a setup for a ride that has lots of more subtle pieces of interest that keep my attention every time.

I don't want to be waiting in line for Jungle Cruise a few years from now and be forced to watch a huge LCD tv with The Jungle Book playing on it. If it is done correctly and works with the existing theming and story great, but just from looking at the pictures, (IMHO) that doesn't appear to be the case.

JungleTrekFan

Would Soarin' count as a Next-Gen. queue? Personally i think the interactive games work very well there. It helps that (from what i have seen) some one is turning the games on and off to control the line flow. I think it also helps that Soarin' takes a large group every couple minutes in stead of a continuously moving ride

raven

There are 2 possible ways that they are going to redo the HM queue. One is add the interactive elements to the exsiting queue and the other one is to tear up the graveyard and put it in there. Not sure on which they are going with yet. In any case these extra features are planned to be optional meaning you can bypass them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom