No More Luxo :-(

hazelrah

Original Poster
"The Pixar Lamp will no longer perform on Pixar Place across from the Toy Story Midway Mania! queue. The lamp, known as the unofficial mascot of Pixar, was part of a test that began last summer."

Not sure if that was from their blog, or from an internal announcement. Such a shame, since that character was a very cool animatronic. But maybe that's what the TSM rehab is for, to install him in the ride itself.

Azerin

Never was working when we were there... seemed to have a lot of technical difficulties so this wouldn't surprise me... but sad to hear they might be getting rid of him :(

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It is a great animatronic, although it seems to have been plauged with reliability issues since day one.

It certainly looks as though it was intended to be permanent. The integration with the tree lighting and the platform - it all looks very deliberate since day one of Pixar Place.

Captain Chaos

Oh thats a real shame. Makes a cute little addition to Pixar Place.

What lawsuit is this?

Lampmaker Luxo ASA was suing Pixar for trademark infringement beause they were going to include a working Luxo Jr. lamp in the special Up Blu-Ray DVD bundle pack.... That lawsuit was settled though, Pixar, Disney, and Luxo ASA reached an agreement and Luxo withdrew the lawsuit....

Figment632

Lampmaker Luxo ASA was suing Pixar for trademark infringement beause they were going to include a working Luxo Jr. lamp in the special Up Blu-Ray DVD bundle pack.... That lawsuit was settled though, Pixar, Disney, and Luxo ASA reached an agreement and Luxo withdrew the lawsuit....

So why would they get rid of it.

djkidkaz

It is a great animatronic, although it seems to have been plauged with reliability issues since day one.

It certainly looks as though it was intended to be permanent. The integration with the tree lighting and the platform - it all looks very deliverate since day one of Pixar Place.

Can you confirm this?

Figment632

The blurb that I originally posted was an official Disney announcement, but probably only went out internally on The Hub (Disney World's intranet site). I still hold out hope that they will at least keep the animatronic somehow by moving him into TSMM, which they should do even if all he does is sit there.

I will sign on to the HUB when I get home I guess :shrug:

NewfieFan

Wow, this really makes me sad! It was such a nice little touch to Pixar Place. And he was so cute with his little dance routine! We just got to see him for the first time the beginning of March. We watched him twice actually! My kids were jumping up and joy for joy b/c they thought he was so cute! We all commented on how Disney goes the extra mile to add these little touches!

What the heck Disney? Why??????

:( :mad: (Sad and mad!!!)

5eic68.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom