Backlot Tour Referb

crmark1

Original Poster
What is going on with the Backlot Tour, Studio Catering, and Honey I Shrunk The Kids play area all being closed for referb at the same time. Wasnt Backlot Tour just referbed last year about this same time? Why would it need to be done again so soon?

guyincognito

I rode the Backlot Tour last week for the first time in probably 10 years. What a letdown... the tour audio system was broken for the first half of the ride, and the guide tried (poorly) to improvise what you would have heard. You can't hear the audio at all while driving around the Extreme Stunt Show with all the engine revving. In Catastrophe Canyon the earthquake simulation didn't work under our car. The neighborhood has been torn down... This ride is on life support, looking for a reason to continue to exist.

Victor

This ride is on life support, looking for a reason to continue to exist.

Yeah it's sad. The whole thing just seems pointless. Don't even remember the last time I went on it. When I was there last Feb it was down, then in early Dec there was a 35 min wait and knowing it wasn't even worth a 5 min wait, I passed.

crmark1

Original Poster
I know. I remember riding it when the park was an actual working studio. People were making costumes etc... when you rode by the what is now empty spaces. No neighborhood. Is there some major change going on in these three areas being down at the same time or is it just a normal referb

rsoxguy

I have mentioned this before, but this ride has evolved into a total abomination of all that should be Disney. I believe that they should either devote time and money to this attraction, or use the space wisely by creating an entirely new attraction. Anything else is an exercise in laziness and apathy on the part of Disney management.

Bork Bork

I never had the opportunity to ride it prior to LMA, but it was a somewhat enjoyable "once and done" for me and my family. No reason to do it again...:(

SirGoofy

BLT needs to take it's final bow. And soon. Such a huge plot of land that could be used for some great expansion.

Although I'd love to see Catastrophe Canyon survive somehow.

EPCOTPluto

There were rumors that BLT will close permanently, rather than reopen afterwards.

Like I previously said in another thread, I have a funny feeling it's just repainting and cleaning here & there. :shrug:

The highlight of the tour was torn down to build Lights, Motors, Whocares!
Agree 100%. :lookaroun

Here's what I think should happen to that place...

http://i47.tinypic.com/312v6mr.jpg
Nomanisan Island? Is that from The Incredibles? In either case, interesting ideas going on there...

kcnole

I'd hate to see the attraction go away completely, but I would like to see it completely revamped. Were I in charge of DHS, it would become the backlot special effects tour.

It would still begin in the water tank area, but it would be completely redone to be a water stunt/special effects show, probably based around Pirates of the Caribbean. To me the water tank show and the canyon are the two good parts of the attraction still. The water show just needs an update from Pearl Harbor.

Then we'd move into the trams, they'd still go past the costuming areas but we'd be certain to have something going on inside those areas for people to view. Then instead of going through a supposed working backlot, we'd go through several different special effect scenes. We'd still have catastrophe canyon, and the tram would travel through a few warehouses, that could house different special effects scenes. The story could even be that production is going on for some movie and we're going to get to see how its done as we go through, I don't care. But make it good.

Universal has several shows like this in their parks, Disney could do similar things, all combined on this tour. While Universal has backdraft and Twister, Disney could do similar things hilighting other special effect scenarios. Maybe a tropical island with a tidal wave coming, a volcano erupting, a hurricane, a building blowing up, an alien invasion. I don't care what they are, but make them entertaining and believable.

Then between the warehouses, we could still pass by props from different movies and the LMA set before ending at the AMA walkthrough attraction. I still think its possible to breathe some life into this if they'd only commit to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom