video walk down memory lane....grab your popcorn!!!

Lord Pheonix

Original Poster
since everyone is talking about "what used to be", i figured why not see it through the lens of a vintage 1980 sony camcorder. you remember them, about 100 lbs on your shoulder with two 50 lbs batteries on your waist? although there are alot of videos on the net of vintage disney, none are this complete. part one is of epcot and wdw village, in the opening year, (xmas). a few on ride videos, (world of motion is one), also has complete walk-around footage of the characters, vehicles, sceanery, etc. woody harrelson from cheers was also there doing a follow-up to a tv special recorded a few weeks earlier, although since my parents were cristians, they never saw cheers or heard of woody harrelson. in a certain point, my mother was commenting on a dragon looking bush, it was actually figment. enjoy the video, its long but worth it to see everything in epcot in pristene condition, including the jumping fountains.

part two coming tomorrow. heres the link to part one: http://www.youtube.com/allmightypuff

NOTE : AS OF 10:33 EST, VIDEO WAS NOT FINISHED PROCESSING. PLEASE CHECK BACK SOON

Lord Pheonix

Original Poster
other then you tube, where else can i upload videos to that allow longer then 10 minute clips?

i wasnt kidding when i said grab your popcorn, lol.

wheres epcotservo when u need him??????

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You can always upload it to a mod at Mousebits. We`d love to have it :wave:

Vimeo has a size limit, not a time limit :wave:

disneyny

Hopefully you get it uploaded and we can view it. Let me know how it goes- I have some old ones I might be able to eventually upload but then again technology isn't my strong point and they are old vcr tapes.

erstwo

Wow! That was great! I only got to watch the first 3. Just how early did your parents get to the parks? :)

Can someone please post a link to a map of the park at this time, so I don't have to ask silly questions like, "Where was the GM World of Motion?" :rolleyes:

Also- I take back everything I ever said about a dress code for WDW. Turns out people really DID dress up to go to Disney! :lookaroun

dweezil78

Absolutely amazing stuff, thank you so much for sharing this with the rest of us -- it's the next best thing to owning a time machine!!! :) I've really never seen classic EPCOT captured so well.

Lord Pheonix

Original Poster
be sure to watch the vid "pm magazine" very cool. as far as a map, i cant find one but the layout is the same as today except there were a few countries that didnt exist, norway was one, (i think) there was no international gateway, and a few other things. as far as how early they got to the parks, it was during normal hours. back then, epcot centers opening wasnt as big as a hit as ak or dhs is today. people wernt sure what they thought of this new high tech, steel and cement modernesc type park. their generation grew up with the cozy charm of main street and exotic lush feel of adventureland, the standard magic kingdom feel. now heres a park that was open and airy, with a definate sceintific feel to it. it was a culture shock to most, and had to grow in popularity where as magic kingdom was a instant success. back then, there was no such thing as a 45 minute wait for horizons, or 1 hour for the land. everything was walk on and walk off. we used to go every year at xmas, this perticular video was shot when i wasnt there, but my mother was arguing with my uncle back home in jersey because he went and said it "didnt look like xmas". if you watch the clip of wdw village, u can see my mother talking about him saying that she dont know how he could say that, standing under a xmas wreath, haha.

this collection is only the first part. i have more of the mk of the same year, and earlier years, mgm during opening week, (i remember standing in line for the gmr freezing my a** off at 8 years old or so cause it was in the 40's and all i had was a tee shirt), original sea world, and a few other attractions non disney related but still in the kissamee area.

erstwo

In the same building that now houses Test Track.

Thanks.

That's what I thought, but that would mean they had to tear down the WOM before they could build Test Track right? That's a pretty big deal since it looks like WOM was a big people mover. I do think it's neat how Test track mirrors the whole "going outside" thing.

Lord Pheonix

Original Poster
my father was a gm employee, we used to go upstairs to a lounge and have free food, drinks, movies, all kinds of stuff. always had vip access to the entire ride.

wom is a forgotten ride, and never had the fanbase of horizons, but was just as popular as horizons. it was way more technically interactive then the static que lines of tt, haveing a preshow lobby more like comunicore, with interactive exhibits and things. i remember being on the ride, loading in the cool ac, the taking that outside loop, in the 90's to 100, then back inside the refreshing ac again. and yes, it was torn down for tt. although tt is bigger then wom was, its only because the track runs so far outside, the building itself is smaller.

disneyny

The PM Magazine was very interesting. Especially when the Disney public relations guy said they had a master plan taking them through the year 2000 that would use all the 40 whatever square miles of land at Disney! Also he said they had plans to possibly expand World Showcase into a second circle with up to 35 countries. The part about the innovative tickets that were like electronic credit cards was funny! Stuff I sure didn't know. Kind of sad what future world has become since that very optimistic opening in October 83!

Little Green Men

Thanks.

That's what I thought, but that would mean they had to tear down the WOM before they could build Test Track right? That's a pretty big deal since it looks like WOM was a big people mover. I do think it's neat how Test track mirrors the whole "going outside" thing.
Test Track is still in the same building as World of Motion, but yes they had to gut the building before they could put the new stuff in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom