Vanessa Carlton Banned from EPCOT 10/22?

THECARISMINE

That sucks =\ the only person I know on the line up lol

But it was only an accident, shocked at the amount of people who are upset though. I know its a family friendly park (serving and selling alcohol) and all but it does happen to the best of us. I'm not a huge curser or anything but don't sue me if it accidentally slips out. :lookaroun
Besides I've heard far worse while walking around Disney, I assure you. :lol:

KeithVH

{snip}
However, I do find it boorish, unintelligent, and generally indicative of a mind that is not being used to its full potential.

{snip}

If that's how you like your meals, then more power to you, I choose to exhibit a bit more self-control.

-dave

What he said.

TP2000

I've never heard of this girl before. No clue who she is. :confused:

But, she obviously isn't very profesional. If she can't focus enough to realize she is on stage at a theme park, and her vocabulary is so limited that she uses swear words as her primary adjectives and pronouns in public, then she must not be a very good performer. She just swore herself out of a good paying gig, that's for sure.

sweetpee_1993

Is this sarcasm?

1000 miles. HELLO?!!? :brick:

:lol:

Nope. Not sarcasm. I've seriously never heard of her. :shrug:

Ooop...no wait! I think I heard the song before. Definitely not a memorable person or song for me. Well, not memorable until she got Mickey to boot her out.

MythBuster

I was there Wednesday, Oct. 21 at American Gardens Theater. I watched the 7:45 show (3rd Set). I talked to some friends there who were working as crowd control. They told me what happened during the first set, she started playing a song and messed it up, dropped the F-bomb, and then restarted the song again, but of course she apologized for her mistake and her language and she didnt really say it loud and it was pretty mellow concert anyway.

It was just her playing the piano and a guy playing the guitar, It was hard to hear her singing and I didn't know her songs, it was pretty low key and soft piano music. Anyway, she made the exact same mistake on the same song and then she stopped, and explained what happened earlier also, she said made a mistake on the same song earlier and then apologized again, but didn't do again. She said she didn't think about children being present. I guess children dont attend her concerts much.

Wilt Dasney

However, I do find [swearing] boorish, unintelligent, and generally indicative of a mind that is not being used to its full potential.

I think that's too broad a brush, honestly. I would venture to say everyone on this board has some "fallback" phrase or reaction they immediately resort to when they're frustrated.

It might not be a curse word per se, but it could be anything from "darn" to "ugh" to a simple close-mouthed groan. A youth pastor I once encountered blurted out "Mickey Mouse!" whenever he was frustrated. :lol:

These examples might not be offensive to some in the same way cursing is, but they serve essentially the same purpose — and display no more intelligence than employing a curse word would. Human beings in general don't tap a font of immense creativity when it comes to voicing immediate frustration.

Unless someone is in the habit of bursting into Shakespearean haiku when they get mad, I think it's a bit of a canard to use the old saw of "people who curse display less intelligence than people who don't."

But damn it, that's just my opinion. :p

STGRhost

Lol - My first thought was "How did Vanessa Hudgens get herself banned from Epcot?". Then, once I read through a few posts, I thought "Oh, her? She's still performing?". I honestly had no idea anyone still cared about her.

I have no sympathy for her. :shrug:

Look, I swear like a sailor in my personal life (especially in the car - I hate driving), but I have NEVER sworn at work. EVER. I just don't. I can turn it off when I want to. It's unprofessional, and all of the other things listed in this thread (rude, unimaginative, lazy, etc.)

She got a warning when she signed on to appear at EC, and she was given a second chance after the first show she did it at. I would have been mortified if I had sworn during a performance at Disney World, and for sure I would have been hyper aware of what I was saying after that. Of course they threw her out. They can't control what individual guests say at the parks (much as they might want to), but they can certainly control what cast members and guest artists say and do on stage. Fortunately, it's not a great loss, imho.

JLW11Hi

Jeepers.

Its unfortunate, but it is Disney World, so I can see the need for them to take action after the second time.

Still, the incident sounds pretty tame. She messed up. Doesn't seem like a situation that should polarize people so much. She seems nice and plays nice music, and she needed to be taken off stage for swearing. The end.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I guess I'm confused why people would want to see such an act that obviously has little class (and as much common sense).

Um, no.

Or they don't swear because their religious belief encourages them not to.

I do find it boorish, unintelligent, and generally indicative of a mind that is not being used to its full potential.

People clean their ears with the end of the fork at dinner, belch out loud, and then scratch themselves as well.
If that's how you like your meals, then more power to you, I choose to exhibit a bit more self-control.

:ROFLOL:

Bravo!

What he said.

Alright... we get it!! Your all clearly better than everyone else. :rolleyes:

Courtney1188

At first I was going to be lenient and say slip of the tongue...but none of Vanessa Carlton's songs have the 'f-bomb' in them. So it's not like she just forgot to change a lyric. That makes it a little less understandable if she was saying it because she made a mistake.

_Scar

If you think cursing makes you have less class you probably are very sheltered. Seriously, I'm 17. I've come to that realization already.
:)

There is a world outside of Disney World you know, it's called reality.

WDW Monorail

Vanessa Carlton - "F___ it!"
CM 1: "Vanessa, did you just say the F word?"
Vanessa Carlton: "It?"
CM 2: "No, he's talking about F___. You can't say F___ in EPCOT you F______ B____."
Vanessa Carlton:"Why the F___ not?!"
CM 2: "Dude, you just said F___ again!"
Vanessa Carlton: "What's the big deal? It doesn't hurt anybody! ..................."

Juliana

Vanessa Carlton - "F___ it!"
CM 1: "Vanessa, did you just say the F word?"
Vanessa Carlton: "It?"
CM 2: "No, he's talking about F___. You can't say F___ in EPCOT you F______ B____."
Vanessa Carlton:"Why the F___ not?!"
CM 2: "Dude, you just said F___ again!"
Vanessa Carlton: "What's the big deal? It doesn't hurt anybody! ..................."

How would you like to go see the (hmm..)park counselor?
;)

fillerup

The bottom line, as everyone knows, is that it's Disney's house - they get to make the rules. I've heard from more than one entertainer that WDW's contract is the most restrictive, and lenghthiest that they have ever dealt with.

Vanessa Carlton's conduct was simply unprofessional and undisciplined.

Having attended hundreds of concerts at this theater over the years, I have never heard any swearing from the stage - not once. And I'm very certain that Mickey Thomas, Paul Revere, Peter Noone, Jose Feliciano, etc etc etc know all the four letter words.

As for the generalized debate on swearing, I've lived anything but a sheltered life - I know, and have used, all the words. But it has generally become boorish and ineffective. The F bomb used to mean something, but it doesn't anymore - it's been relieved of all effect. As in - "What's on at the effing movies?"

As for an earlier post suggesting that routine swearing is indicative of a mind not being used to it's full potential, I think I disagree. I'm afraid it's indicative of a mind that is being used to it's full potential.

Mikester71

Kinda off topic, but still on the topic of Disney and swearing. Was watching POTC 3 last night with my son and we decided to watch the bloopers after we were done. There is one scene where Depp and an actor (bad memory or what, just watched it and can't remember who it was already) are going through their scene and the guy screws up and follows it by swearing. Of course they bleep it out, but Depp looks at the camera and says something like "You can't say that in a Disney film, I told him he couldn't say that in a Disney film!" :lol:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I don't necesarily like her music. Her music used to be on 24/7 a few years back. I'd be shocked if someone hadn't heard of her.
On what, though? I'm sure there were more radio stations NOT playing her song than the select few that DID play it in their hourly rotation of the same 50 songs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom