Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpyhnt 1000

Original Poster
Great interview there. Its interesting to hear from someone who was in the higher ups of the company.

Good to hear he thinks DCA is on the right track. Of course, after the initial mess of a park they created, it would be hard to make it any worse.

His idea for the EPCOT-esque DVC is great; definitely something that would be groundbreaking, fun and interesting for everyone, and finally bring Walt's dream of a futuristic city to life.

And speaking about EPCOT, his thoughts about Epcot are so accurate its not even funny. Disney has a theme park with such a great concept (and great potential) just sitting there in the middle of the resort gradually becoming more stale and irrelevant. The worst part is they don't have a clue what to do about it! :brick: Wake up Disney! Start to dream again; you can do it if you dream it!

SirGoofy

First of all, what a great interview.

And speaking about EPCOT, his thoughts about Epcot are so accurate its not even funny. Disney has a theme park with such a great concept (and great potential) just sitting there in the middle of the resort gradually becoming more stale and irrelevant. The worst part is they don't have a clue what to do about it! :brick: Wake up Disney! Start to dream again; you can do it if you dream it!

EPCOT...stale? You have to be kidding me. EPCOT has gotten more changes and refurbs than any of the other 3 in the past 10 years. Are they all hits? No, but to say EPCOT is stale is completely false.

SirGoofy

Yes, but is the EPCOT message being conveyed?

That's the stale part...

Every attraction except for Test Track IMO. M:S could do a better job, but I think it's fine. Soarin' ties into The Land, and will do so even more if we get that new film. Nemo gets people into the Seas, which they weren't doing before, and the pavilion still does a wonderful job of informing.

Atomicmickey

I pretty much love everything he had to say.

*waves magic wand*

What?

Aw, didn't work.

I don't think that Epcot is stale . . . yet. I think the article has some great ideas about how to move things ahead. Too bad he doesn't work there anymore, but there would still need to be the money committed.

Oh, to think of any of those great architects working on an Epcot pavilion, ahhhh, how cool would that be?

EPCOT Explorer

Every attraction except for Test Track IMO. M:S could do a better job, but I think it's fine. Soarin' ties into The Land, and will do so even more if we get that new film. Nemo gets people into the Seas, which they weren't doing before, and the pavilion still does a wonderful job of informing.
TT does nothing, M:S too. If it was actually going to Mars, and they made it a bit more "real" :)lookaroun) it would work. Soarin' only works well because it's in TL, which covers the IIE nicely.

Nemo, however?! The only informing that thing does is on the ignored (except for me...:lookaroun) info plaques that are Nemo-fied. TTlk is just a kid's surf talk fest.:lol: THAT could be informative, but it's not.

It does entertain, though...

voodoo321

My impression of Future World from my recent visit was, "this place is a mess"(theme, concept and message).

hpyhnt 1000

Original Poster
My impression of Future World from my recent visit was, "this place is a mess"(theme, concept and message).

Exactly. When referring to FW, I guess stale isn't exactly the right word. My point is that, yes, while Epcot has seen new additions and refurbs in recent years (for better or for worse), what do they all amount to? There's nothing that cohesively ties them together; most entertain, some inform, but none really inspire. None of the attractions, if I may quote Mr. Soto, "...really make Future World deliver on it's promise and send guests away with a "call to action" to make the future brighter." FW used to do this(or at least it did better); it used to make one excited about the future and really think about how great we were going to make it. Now, heck, whats even futuristic about FW anymore? As much as I detested the planned name of Discoveryland, it was a far more accurate description to what is there now.

Epcot is "stale" in its message and purpose (if it still has one. And I like to think it still does). Half the park is a jumbled mess of themes and concepts, and the other half, aparyt from a few film refurbs that were long overdue, truly is "stale." Epcot has SO much potential, and as Mr. Sotto said, Epcot is. "...a grand opportunity and a unique theme to develop as parks go." Exploit it! Use it! Profit off of it! Disney has something special here, if they know how to use it.

EPCOT Explorer

Exactly. When referring to FW, I guess stale isn't exactly the right word. My point is that, yes, while Epcot has seen new additions and refurbs in recent years (for better or for worse), what do they all amount to? There's nothing that cohesively ties them together; most entertain, some inform, but none really inspire. None of the attractions, if I may quote Mr. Soto, "...really make Future World deliver on it's promise and send guests away with a "call to action" to make the future brighter." FW used to do this(or at least it did better); it used to make one excited about the future and really think about how great we were going to make it. Now, heck, whats even futuristic about FW anymore? As much as I detested the planned name of Discoveryland, it was a far more accurate description to what is there now.

Epcot is "stale" in its message and purpose (if it still has one. And I like to think it still does). Half the park is a jumbled mess of themes and concepts, and the other half, aparyt from a few film refurbs that were long overdue, truly is "stale." Epcot has SO much potential, and as Mr. Sotto said, Epcot is. "...a grand opportunity and a unique theme to develop as parks go." Exploit it! Use it! Profit off of it! Disney has something special here, if they know how to use it.
Exactly.:D

EPCOT is a huge tool to be used my Disney. It's unique, easily made diverse. and highly promotable.

Kinda like what they did back in the 80's...and early 90's.;)

Jasonflz

Nemo, however?! The only informing that thing does is on the ignored (except for me...:lookaroun) info plaques that are Nemo-fied. TTlk is just a kid's surf talk fest.:lol: THAT could be informative, but it's not.

It does entertain, though...

And that's the point. The old Living Seas were (apologies to the fans) a snooze fest.

EPCOT Explorer

And that's the point. The old Living Seas were (apologies to the fans) a snooze fest.

:dazzle::fork:

:lol:

Like Martin said, I don't get it. A movie, a themed entrance with a visual illusion, and a relaxing ride through the tanks.

I think people are pulling the "EPCOT Center was boring" card on The Living Seas.:rolleyes:

CaptainMichael

EPCOT may be "stale", but there's no place that I'd rather be right now (except for you-know-where)

Ah, to be strolling around World Showcase Promenade right now...

hpyhnt 1000

Original Poster

No doubt, it was pretty boring, but more because it was left to rot instead of constant updating. But still, last time I checked, the dedication plaque for Epcot mentioned three things: inform, entertain, inspire. Yes, things should be entertaining, but I can go to Six Flags or Busch Gardens for entertainment. On a similar thread, I can go to a museum for information. EPCOT was, and still can be, unique because it combined entertainment AND information in order to inspire in a way the world had never seen before (and, I might add, has yet to be repeated as far as theme parks go.) Should Epcot be a museum? No, certainly not. But it also should NOT merely be a collection of rides that only "entertain."

Jasonflz

:dazzle::fork:

:lol:

Like Martin said, I don't get it. A movie, a themed entrance with a visual illusion, and a relaxing ride through the tanks.

I think people are pulling the "EPCOT Center was boring" card on The Living Seas.:rolleyes:

:lol: I don't really think that the original Living seas was as top notch as people think it out to be. The old seacabs look like a perfect oppurtunity to nap, much like the old Universe of Energy.

EPCOT Explorer

EPCOT may be "stale", but there's no place that I'd rather be right now (except for you-know-where)

Ah, to be strolling around World Showcase Promenade right now...

Yes, agreed.:D:eek:

Epcot is EPCOT is EPCOT Center. Even in this stale, uninspired form, EPCOT is still the most ambitious, unique park there is.

...We just want it to be even better.:D

Jasonflz

No doubt, it was pretty boring, but more because it was left to rot instead of constant updating. But still, last time I checked, the dedication plaque for Epcot mentioned three things: inform, entertain, inspire. Yes, things should be entertaining, but I can go to Six Flags or Busch Gardens for entertainment. On a similar thread, I can go to a museum for information. EPCOT was, and still can be, unique because it combined entertainment AND information in order to inspire in a way the world had never seen before (and, I might add, has yet to be repeated.) Should Epcot be a museum? No, certainly not. But it also should NOT merely be a collection of rides that only "entertain."

You are exactly right but The Living Seas were really pushing the envelope. Once the seacabs were gone there was not much interest invested in the pavilion. Thankfully the Seas With Nemo And Friends are able to teach while still being fun for everyone. Not the best refurb but a good one nonetheless.

EPCOT Explorer

No doubt, it was pretty boring, but more because it was left to rot instead of constant updating. But still, last time I checked, the dedication plaque for Epcot mentioned three things: inform, entertain, inspire. Yes, things should be entertaining, but I can go to Six Flags or Busch Gardens for entertainment. On a similar thread, I can go to a museum for information. EPCOT was, and still can be, unique because it combined entertainment AND information in order to inspire in a way the world had never seen before (and, I might add, has yet to be repeated.) Should Epcot be a museum? No, certainly not. But it also should NOT merely be a collection of rides that only "entertain."
YES.

Someone is in a EPCOT mood...:lol:
:lol: I don't really think that the original Living seas was as top notch as people think it out to be. The old seacabs look like a perfect oppurtunity to nap, much like the old Universe of Energy.
Look like? You never went on it?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom