All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOT Explorer

No, no... we want palms! Lots of tall, glorious Washingtonia robusta palms! Their height accentuates the massive architecture of Spaceship Earth in a sort of reverse forced-perspective manner.

Now... the only other trees which I would even consider for the flanking of SE would be the mega-flora species like the redwoods, sequoias, Coast Douglas-fir, Sitka Spruce, etc., but these can not survive in the sandy Florida soil and climate. The trees that flank SE need to make a statement, need to be sleek, and need to belong there.

Nim, FW feels like freaking Adventureland to me sometimes.:lol::lol:I'm already surrounded by palms 24/7. I want some variety.:lol:

Maybe some nice oaks?:eek::lol:

(yes, the fanboy is complaining about EPCOT's horticulture, what did you expect?)

SirNim

Nim, FW feels like freaking Adventureland to me sometimes.:lol::lol:I'm already surrounded by palms 24/7. I want some variety.:lol:

Maybe some nice oaks?:eek::lol:
Alas, I am surrounded by oaks and maples 24/7... :lol:

Just thinking out loud about any number of deciduous species, there certainly would be a place for them somewhere in Epcot, if they aren't there already. The entrance plaza, though, must strive for landscaping which stresses its verticality, and oaks, for example, are decidedly too broad to accomplish this in my opinion.

That said, a few tall birch trees around the entrance plaza might look pretty spiffy. I would love to see them incorporated into the landscaping if possible. They're classy, they've got distinctive white bark, leafy volume and verticality as well. They could pair well with the futuristic architecture there.

EPCOT Explorer

Alas, I am surrounded by oaks and maples 24/7... :lol:

Just thinking out loud about any number of deciduous species, there certainly would be a place for them somewhere in Epcot, if they aren't there already. The entrance plaza, though, must strive for landscaping which stresses its verticality, and oaks, for example, are decidedly too broad to accomplish this in my opinion.

That said, a few tall birch trees around the entrance plaza might look pretty spiffy. I would love to see them incorporated into the landscaping if possible. They're classy, they've got distinctive white bark, leafy volume and verticality as well. They could pair well with the futuristic architecture there.

Cherry blossoms might be pretty. Can they survive down here? The pink would be a nice contrast in the spring for the Garden Fest.

And I saw some Ancient Greece looking :)lookaroun) tall dark green trees the other day at Home Depot. Those would be nice framing SSE...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Pine trees.

Evergreen, tall, slender, fast growing.

Just think of all that pine straw they would get for free for mulching purposes.

SirNim

Cherry blossoms might be pretty. Can they survive down here? The pink would be a nice contrast in the spring for the Garden Fest.

And I saw some Ancient Greece looking :)lookaroun) tall dark green trees the other day at Home Depot. Those would be nice framing SSE...
Cherry blossoms could provide a nice "lower canopy" of horticulture along the sides of plaza. They're beautiful trees.

Now... speaking of Old World trees, I think one of my favorite trees I've ever seen is the Italian Stone Pine which looks like it's a relict of the Mesozoic Era. These things are massive, dramatic, and awe-inspiring. Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome-looking too (though they probably aren't sold at Home Depot)... Don't know if there are any in Florida, though they do apparently thrive along the east coast of the US. Throw some of these into the entrance plaza, and you've got one heck of a main entrance!

EPCOT Explorer

Cherry blossoms could provide a nice "lower canopy" of horticulture along the sides of plaza. They're beautiful trees.

Now... speaking of Old World trees, I think one of my favorite trees I've ever seen is the Italian Stone Pine which looks like it's a relict of the Mesozoic Era. These things are massive, dramatic, and awe-inspiring. Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome-looking too (though they probably aren't sold at Home Depot)... Don't know if there are any in Florida, though they do apparently thrive along the east coast of the US. Throw some of these into the entrance plaza, and you've got one heck of a main entrance!

Oooooh, shove those over to UoE!:lol:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I do like the idea of the Italian Stone Pine.
tree_stonepine.jpg
cover2-0212.jpg

pinuspineaherb1.jpg

SirNim

Hmmm...I could see them getting VERY overgrown though...
They're like life-size bonsai trees...

Like bonsai trees, I'm sure they could be expertly custom-pruned as need be.

Though I guess the onus would be on the horticulturists who procure the specimens to ensure that they will grow to a suitable height and obtain a suitable volume that can fit into and maintain the scale of the plaza.

They certainly would add another layer of epic megalithic drama to an entrance plaza which already boasts dozens of granite Leave A Legacy monoliths and an 180-foot tall Alucobond-clad spherical building.

EPCOT Explorer

They're like life-size bonsai trees...

Like bonsai trees, I'm sure they could be expertly custom-pruned as need be.

Though I guess the onus would be on the horticulturists who procure the specimens to ensure that they will grow to a suitable height and obtain a suitable volume that can fit into and maintain the scale of the plaza.

They certainly would add another layer of epic megalithic drama to an entrance plaza which already boasts dozens of granite Leave A Legacy monoliths and an 180-foot tall Alucobond-clad spherical building.
Ah...Might be nice.:D

53603214_615e39ec90.jpg

sorry about the previous huuuge pic)

EPCOT Explorer

Not with a little upkeep. They reach a mature height and with a little pruning would stay basically the same size.

Any tree can become unwieldy if left to grow unhindered.

Upkeep!? In WDW? In EPCOT Horitculture!?:dazzle::eek::eek::eek:

You are stuck in the 1980's, Fanboy!:rolleyes::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom