Surprise vacation planned for wife....need advice

RatherBinDisney

To get to the point:

-She's not as crazy about Disney as I am.
-She'd rather spend money on bills or household items than go on vacation.
-We normally take a vacation in July for our anniversary but this year I had to cancel it becasue of work.
-I have already booked the free dining plan getway for September/ October of this year and have purchased airline tickets.

How do I break the news to her? Wait until our anniversary so she doesnt break my neck? Any fun ideas to tell her would be appreciated. We are goig to the Halloween party which is something that she would want to do!

wdwmomof3

This is so sweet!! My stepdad had me book a trip to Disney for my Mom and he is telling her a week in advance, at her birthday party. :) Now for me, and I am a total Disney freak, I would want to know a little sooner because I love to plan. Maybe you could tell her on your anniversary. That would make it special. :animwink:

Upvote 0

RatherBinDisney

Original Poster
Yes, I was thinking about doing it but I wanted to do it in a special way. I was thinking about those commercials you see on TV when people open the envelopes and firewoks and balloons come out. Maybe at dinner have the waiter bring out the envelope and give it to her then???

This way if she does become upset I will have witness if she kills me :lookaroun.

Upvote 0
I would wrap up a halloween costume or mask, and then tell her you're going to the MNSSHP! She will be puzzled at first, and then (hopefully!) excited when she finds out what it means. Just a thought...

Upvote 0

lbrad

Reinforce all the positives!!! FREE DINING & MNSSHP...
Cooler temps...least crowded time to go...and the best part ...YOU have done all the work/planning:sohappy: She can relax & enjoy!!!

Upvote 0

eroyee

And, if she gets mad enough that she wont go, please let me know. I will gladly take her place. ha.ha. I am sure DH wont mind much. Yeah, right. I cant imagine someone not wanting to go to Disney World. wow. happy anniversary and hope all goes well......they have carriage rides at POR you could book,too. they are at night and romantic.......

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

You could always order the free personalized maps from the Disney website. The almost look like pirate maps- it would say the "Smith" family vacation. You can highlight whichever rides and attractions you want to do/see.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/myVacation/customizedMaps/index?id=CustomizedMapsFlashPage

You could even do a treasure/scavenger hunt with the maps being the treasure hint at the end!

Have a great trip! Wish my sweetie had a surprise trip planned!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

-She's not as crazy about Disney as I am.

Does that mean she's crazy about Disney to some degree? Or not crazy about Disney AT ALL? Because otherwise, I would fear that surprising her with a trip to WDW would be like surprising her with a professional fishing rod when she's never expressed an interest in fishing so suddenly it becomes "your" present, knowhutimean?

If she's not crazy about Disney at all, I would've recommended not surprising her at all, but discussing that it's a vacation you really want to take and this is a fantastic deal at a time of year when the weather will be MUCH more accommodating. But since you already booked the vacation AND the airfare, it will kinda stink if she says "I absolutely do not want to do this."

I have a warped sense of humor, so I'd probably give my wife a bucket, and inside the bucket would be my bucket list, the things I want to do before I die. The list would be filled with things I didn't do, but I crossed off as if I had done them (fight a pack of rabid wolverines, turn a one night stand down with Angelina Jolie, watch every Planet of the Apes film and translate them into Greek, etc). The one lone thing not crossed off on my bucket list? Go to WDW with my lovely, amazing, PATIENT wife in the fall of '09." Be specific with the dates, so this way, if she says no...your bucket list is incomplete! Horrors!

Upvote 0

MM15Disney

You guys have some AWESOME ideas, can you give my DH some lessons in being romantic :D I am planning my own birthday trip and ADR's. He has never been one to surprise me with anything. :(

Upvote 0

LSonDubz

Does that mean she's crazy about Disney to some degree? Or not crazy about Disney AT ALL? Because otherwise, I would fear that surprising her with a trip to WDW would be like surprising her with a professional fishing rod when she's never expressed an interest in fishing so suddenly it becomes "your" present, knowhutimean?!

pretty much what I was thinking :shrug:

Upvote 0

Auroragirl

Great Ideas, everyone!
Since the Holloween Party is something she would want to do, maybe incorporating all those ideas (have the waiter come out w/ a bucket and your bucket list) but say you want to see the Holloween Parade w/ your wife.
Do you really think she'll not be excited about a vacation?

Upvote 0

RatherBinDisney

Original Poster
LOL, great idea's and thank you everyone!

She will be happy to go just about anywhere. Disney is not on her top priority list but easily in the top 5.

So many good ideas. It would be fun to incorporate something with Halloween. That would keep her guessing for awhile. Scavenger hunt is a goody too!

Upvote 0

Disney_Belle

I'm doing the same thing for my husband! Lol! Like your wife - he isn't as Disney crazy. He likes going there - but he is kind of sick of doing parks all day every day so I'm planning a more "adult" relaxed WDW vacation - with maybe a few evening trips to MK and Epcot.

We were supposed to go to ASMovies from Sept 26 - Octobr 3rd with our friends, as an anniversary trip (their 1st our 2nd year) - but we had to cancel as they found out they are expecting their first child in early January!

So I was bummed out - and my husband keeps saying he wants to go to florida and sit on the beach. But being the Disney fanatic - I can't be in FL and not go to WDW! So I drummed up a wonderful idea! lol

I booked us a week at the Polynesian Resort during free dining. This way he can sit on the "beach" all he wants and we can enjoy some of the resort restaurants we have not tried yet on WDW property. I am also going to get some MYW tickets with no expiration on them, so if he decides he wants to hop the monorail to MK or Epcot we can. And if not - we won't. But he does love going to MK at night, as well as Epcot. He just doesn't like doing the parks alllll day every day anymore. And we don't need to go to DHS or AK as we were just there in January. And seeing as he has that week off due to us supposed to be going with our friends, we might as well take advantage of the vacation time - as next year we are going to have a house built, as well as hopefully have a baby by then - so we need one last hoorah! lol.

He has no idea I did this. He thinks we are going to drive to CT (we live in Mass) and get a ferry over to Long Island and stay there for a few days (I needed a "plan" lol). So friday night (Sept 25th) before he gets home from work (which is 8:30ish) I will pack up the suitcases in the trunk. I will bring my dog to my aunt's house so she can watch her for the week. Then Saturday morning I will wake DH up early at 4:45 so we can get to the airport for 5:30ish for our 7:30am flight to orlando. He won't suspect anything as we have to go 95 South to the airport - the same way we would have to go if we were going to CT to catch the ferry. So until we get off at the airport exit he won't know. But just a little while ago I was looking at Poly pics on the computer and he was saying how he would love to stay there - just once. So that shocked me but kind of made me a little relieved lol. I am also going to make a "mock up" Ferry itinerary to print out and have in the front of my car so it seems a little more "real" that we are going to long island and not WDW lol.

So hopefully all goes smooth and as well as planned!!! I have to pay for everything via southwest giftcards and disney gift cards so that he doesn't see the payments on our bank statements! lol.

Good luck to you and your wife and I hope you all have a wonderful time and I hope she likes her suprise!!!

DH and I will be attending MNSSHP on Sept 29th :wave: (He doesn't know that part - but I'm sure in whole - he won't mind one night).

The hard part now is keeping it a secret!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom