Fort Wilderness Cabins Questions

mrtoad

Hi,

I hope somebody might be able to answer a few questions about Fort Wilderness and specifically the cabins.

We usually stay at either Port Orleans or the Wilderness Lodge but this year we are planning on the cabins as we had another child and she will be less than 2 when we go and want to be able to put her down to sleep yet not feel like you are stuck in the dark afraid to move. The cabins seemed like a good choice as we can put her in the bedroom and then go in the living area.

So my questions in no particular order (I am sure to ramble as I go):

I see there is a portable crib listed as being in the closet but we are kind of nervous about it. Is it a pack n play type and if so has anybody used one and what did you think of it? We will bring our own pack n play if the other is no good but would prefer not to have to.

Is there sufficiant room to put the pack n play/crib in the bedroom and not be falling all over each other (2 adults and an 8 year old)?

Traveling from the cabin to the bus stop questions:

I read there is a bus that takes you from the cabins to the front entrance (or Pioneer Hall area) is that true?

Also though I read it takes a long time to get there. If that is the case are we able to drive our car to a parking lot near the entrance to Fort Wilderness and then take the bus from there? We don't want it to be an hour trip (20 min to get to the entrance, just missed a bus to the parks and wait 20 minutes and then take a bus to a park 20 minutes).

If it was nice out and you wanted to walk to the entrance or to Pioneer Hall how long is that walk? Also if we split up at night and I stay with the 8 year old at a park and my wife takes the baby back, if she walked is it safely lit?

Lastly if you have stayed in the cabins and in the other resorts were you happy with the cabins or do they feel like a step back? I am just so used to the Wilderness Lodge and Port Orleans it concerns me. I am sure unnecessarily so but I am all the same.

Thanks for any advice/answers.

Mike

Pioneer Hall

I can help you with a few things here, but not all of your questions (not sure about the crib situation).

There are a few internal bus routes at Fort Wilderness that take you from the campsite and cabin loops to the main areas (Pioneer Hall, Settlement Outpost, Meadow Outpost, Pool, etc). The busses run pretty frequently, but sometimes you have to wait a little bit at your loop. Walking anywhere in the resort can be somewhat tough if it isn't right near your loop. The resort is very very large. Most people like to rent Golf Carts from the bike barn for the length of their stay. You can use these to get around from point to point in the resort and not have to worry about walking or the buses. You can park your cart at the bus stops and have it waiting for you when you get back from the parks. The carts get booked fast so you should make arrangements as soon as you can for one if you are interested.

I have heard nothing but good things about the cabin accommodations. The resort is a little bit different than normal, but you will get a very nice place to stay during your trip.

Upvote 0

kstella

I can't answer specific questions about the cabins, but I've stayed at Fort Wilderness many times. How long a walk you have to the bus stop to your cabin depends on where the cabin is. There are several different areas of cabins scattered throughout Fort Wilderness. The walk should not be more than five or 10 minutes, no worse than walking from the back of All Star Music to the bus stop there. The internal buses run a very regular intervals, the key is to find out which loop you are on as the buses are color coded. When in doubt about where a bus is going, ask the driver, or a fellow guest. Everyone is always very helpful. If you are staying sown by the marina, you can take any color bus to get around. I prefer to stay by the marina due to ease of getting around. It's just a short walk to the marina to catch the boat to MK, or the TTC, or the other MK resorts. It's also closest to Trail's End (an excellent place to eat) and one of the stores. It's also very cool to hear the boat horns at night.

I've never been of the belief that a golf cart is a neccessity at FW. There are very nice paved walking paths running along the sides of the main roads. It is not lit brightly due to the atmosphere, but there are always people around and the lights from the campers add to the lighting. I've never felt unsafe walking around at night.

I hope you enjoy your trip.:wave:

Upvote 0

kstella

I just re-read your post.

If you want to drive your car to the entrance and park, there is plenty of parking. The bus ride from one end of the resort to the other has never taken me more than 10 minutes and the internal buses are generally not very crowded and I've found most of the bus drivers to be friendly and funny.

Upvote 0

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member

I see there is a portable crib listed as being in the closet but we are kind of nervous about it. Is it a pack n play type and if so has anybody used one and what did you think of it? We will bring our own pack n play if the other is no good but would prefer not to have to. The pack-n-play is an average one and handles the job. I would bring your own sheets though.

Is there sufficiant room to put the pack n play/crib in the bedroom and not be falling all over each other (2 adults and an 8 year old)? It is a tight squeeze but it is doable. You will have just enough room to sqeeze buy the pack-n-play.

I read there is a bus that takes you from the cabins to the front entrance (or Pioneer Hall area) is that true? Yes there are busses but we have always rented a golf cart.

Also though I read it takes a long time to get there. If that is the case are we able to drive our car to a parking lot near the entrance to Fort Wilderness and then take the bus from there? We don't want it to be an hour trip (20 min to get to the entrance, just missed a bus to the parks and wait 20 minutes and then take a bus to a park 20 minutes). You can drive your car to the entrance and take the bus to Epcot or AK. You can't take your car to the marina area where the bus for MK and DS leaves.

If it was nice out and you wanted to walk to the entrance or to Pioneer Hall how long is that walk? Also if we split up at night and I stay with the 8 year old at a park and my wife takes the baby back, if she walked is it safely lit? The resort is a mile wide as the crow flies. Add to that the winding of the paths, it can be a long walk.

Lastly if you have stayed in the cabins and in the other resorts were you happy with the cabins or do they feel like a step back? I am just so used to the Wilderness Lodge and Port Orleans it concerns me. I am sure unnecessarily so but I am all the same. The cabins are great! It's one of our favorite resorts.

Mike

Upvote 0

sbkline

I've never stayed at the Cabins, but I very much wish to do so on our next trip (finances may put a nix on that, but we'll see where we're at later this year when it comes time to book). But as far as your crib question, I have seen pictures of the cabins. And from all the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look like there's a "bedroom" per se. The whole cabin is one open room. On one end, you have the master bed, and a set of bunkbeds next to it. Then, there is a kitchen and living area and on the other end of the cabin, if I remember correctly from the pictures, there is a murphy bed that pulls out of the wall. But there are no walls seperating any rooms as far as I can tell from the pics I've seen, so the entire cabin is effectively one room. So I wouldn't think it would be necessary to put the pack and play right next to your bed. It looks to me like you'd be perfectly fine to set it up in the living area and you'd still have a clear view of it without tripping over it whenever you get up.

Upvote 0

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
I've never stayed at the Cabins, but I very much wish to do so on our next trip (finances may put a nix on that, but we'll see where we're at later this year when it comes time to book). But as far as your crib question, I have seen pictures of the cabins. And from all the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look like there's a "bedroom" per se. The whole cabin is one open room. On one end, you have the master bed, and a set of bunkbeds next to it. Then, there is a kitchen and living area and on the other end of the cabin, if I remember correctly from the pictures, there is a murphy bed that pulls out of the wall. But there are no walls seperating any rooms as far as I can tell from the pics I've seen, so the entire cabin is effectively one room. So I wouldn't think it would be necessary to put the pack and play right next to your bed. It looks to me like you'd be perfectly fine to set it up in the living area and you'd still have a clear view of it without tripping over it whenever you get up.

There is a seperate bedroom at the end of the hallway.

Upvote 0

floridianboy26

FortWilderness resort@campground

Mike,
All good questions.I have stayed in the cabins believe me it was the best place i've stayed...As far as a crib in the closet.I don't remember there being a crib in the closet..As far as the bus the wait is like 5mins...and it doe's take you to the front of Pioneer Hall and then you just hope a boat to Magic Kingdom its like 10mins.beats taking a bus..here are some pics and a site you can checkout.
http://allears.net/acc/ftw165.jpg

http://allears.net/acc/g_ftw.htm

Upvote 0

floridianboy26

Hi,

I hope somebody might be able to answer a few questions about Fort Wilderness and specifically the cabins.

We usually stay at either Port Orleans or the Wilderness Lodge but this year we are planning on the cabins as we had another child and she will be less than 2 when we go and want to be able to put her down to sleep yet not feel like you are stuck in the dark afraid to move. The cabins seemed like a good choice as we can put her in the bedroom and then go in the living area.

I see there is a portable crib listed as being in the closet but we are kind of nervous about it. Is it a pack n play type and if so has anybody used one and what did you think of it? We will bring our own pack n play if the other is no good but would prefer not to have to.

Is there sufficiant room to put the pack n play/crib in the bedroom and not be falling all over each other (2 adults and an 8 year old)?

I read there is a bus that takes you from the cabins to the front entrance (or Pioneer Hall area) is that true?

Also though I read it takes a long time to get there. If that is the case are we able to drive our car to a parking lot near the entrance to Fort Wilderness and then take the bus from there? We don't want it to be an hour trip (20 min to get to the entrance, just missed a bus to the parks and wait 20 minutes and then take a bus to a park 20 minutes).

If it was nice out and you wanted to walk to the entrance or to Pioneer Hall how long is that walk? Also if we split up at night and I stay with the 8 year old at a park and my wife takes the baby back, if she walked is it safely lit?

Lastly if you have stayed in the cabins and in the other resorts were you happy with the cabins or do they feel like a step back? I am just so used to the Wilderness Lodge and Port Orleans it concerns me. I am sure unnecessarily so but I am all the same.

Mike
Mike,
All good questions.I have stayed in the cabins believe me it was the best place i've stayed...As far as a crib in the closet.I don't remember there being a crib in the closet..As far as the bus the wait is like 5mins...and it doe's take you to the front of Pioneer Hall and then you just hope a boat to Magic Kingdom its like 10mins.beats taking a bus..here are some pics and a site you can checkout.
http://allears.net/acc/ftw165.jpg

http://allears.net/acc/g_ftw.htm

Upvote 0

foslizedtresap

I do remember a pack and play in the closet. On whether or not it'll fit, like said before, it could be snug.But you always have the option of putting the children in the bedroom, and then sleeping on the pull down Murphy bed in the living room. My parents slept on the Murphy and absolutely loved it.
The full kitchen is great for families, especially those on a budget. We took advantage of the freezer and would freeze our water bottles the night before. Also on site there is a small convenience store where you can pick up essentials and snacks.
The resort itself has a lot of great offerings, it is truly a unique area. Every night there is a campfire sing along with Chip and Dale and they show a free movie.
The bus system was adequately efficient. Although some days we waited a bit, it was nothing unreasonable, and we were there during peak season.
My family love Fort Wilderness.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies, all have been very helpful. We are very excited to go. Our 8 year old has no clue yet. She thinks we are not going for another year. She will flip.

Thank you all again,
Mike

Upvote 0

smk

Hi,

We usually stay at either Port Orleans or the Wilderness Lodge but this year we are planning on the cabins as we had another child and she will be less than 2 when we go and want to be able to put her down to sleep yet not feel like you are stuck in the dark afraid to move. The cabins seemed like a good choice as we can put her in the bedroom and then go in the living area. You will love that option here, there is even a TV in the living room so you can watch a movie or pull down the trundle bed and nap too.

I see there is a portable crib listed as being in the closet but we are kind of nervous about it. Is it a pack n play type and if so has anybody used one and what did you think of it? We will bring our own pack n play if the other is no good but would prefer not to have to. The one provided ia a pac n play.

Is there sufficiant room to put the pack n play/crib in the bedroom and not be falling all over each other (2 adults and an 8 year old)? There is plenty of room at the end of the set of bunk beds for a pac n play. In the bedroom, there is a queen bed and a set of bunk beds, a closet, a night stand between the beds and a area with a mirrow and plug in for doing hair etc...

I read there is a bus that takes you from the cabins to the front entrance (or Pioneer Hall area) is that true? There are "internal" and "external" buses. One going to the marina area and the other going to the check in area. Each area has buses going to the parks but I forget what area has the bus going to Epcot, for instance. It can be confusing but read the maps and in no time you will have it down. We always rent a cart or two, depending on how many of our kids are with us so we never use the internal buses.

Also though I read it takes a long time to get there. If that is the case are we able to drive our car to a parking lot near the entrance to Fort Wilderness and then take the bus from there? We don't want it to be an hour trip (20 min to get to the entrance, just missed a bus to the parks and wait 20 minutes and then take a bus to a park 20 minutes). The buses seem to be very regular, so if you wanted to drive you could but it is not needed. There is no parking at the marina, only the check in area.

If it was nice out and you wanted to walk to the entrance or to Pioneer Hall how long is that walk? Also if we split up at night and I stay with the 8 year old at a park and my wife takes the baby back, if she walked is it safely lit? I have read that the whole campground is a mile and half from the marina to the check in area and I believe every bit of that, if not more. I have never felt unsafe at the campground, quite the opposite really. There is always a safety and security vehicle going around and everyone is friendly.

Lastly if you have stayed in the cabins and in the other resorts were you happy with the cabins or do they feel like a step back? I am just so used to the Wilderness Lodge and Port Orleans it concerns me. I am sure unnecessarily so but I am all the same. I LOVE the cabins, the campground is safe, quiet, and loads of fun for kids, There are outdoor movies, boat rentals, playgrounds, petting zoo, horse barns to tour. I would stay there every time if I could. We have never stayed at the GF but we have stayed at several deluxe resorts like the Contemporary and the Poly and I love the cabins as much or more. They are fully stocked with everything you'll need or want for cooking and IF you cook, leave the dishes and mousekeeping will do them for you, in the dishwasher. They have a full size frig with ice maker too and full size stove, enough plates bowls etc...for 6. We usually don't cook anything except breakfast stuff anyway but you could make a five course meal if you wanted.

Mike

I hope this helps, stay there, I know you won't regret it!

Upvote 0

Figment1986

Also though I read it takes a long time to get there. If that is the case are we able to drive our car to a parking lot near the entrance to Fort Wilderness and then take the bus from there? We don't want it to be an hour trip (20 min to get to the entrance, just missed a bus to the parks and wait 20 minutes and then take a bus to a park 20 minutes). You can drive your car to the entrance and take the bus to Epcot or AK. You can't take your car to the marina area where the bus for MK and DS leaves.

Actually.. the studios bus is from the entrance now, but MK is still at the back of the resort, by boat. I love the electric carts as they are the only way to get to the marina other than by bus.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom