Tips about Disneyland.

PattyBell

Original Poster
Hi guys...I'm new here. I've been 5 times to WDW and now me and my hubby are thinking about taking our doughter to Disneyland.

Do you have any suggestion?
Is it worth it? Like WDW???

Thanks a lot and sorry if I wrote something wrong (I'm from Brazil)

daliseurat

Disneyland is great. It is a different experience from the Magic Kingdom. But, I have to tell you that it is not the RESORT that WDW is. The hotels are all REALLY pricey. There's only 2 parks, one of which DCA, isn't all that great. No waterparks. People will argue over which is better, but there is more to do at WDW and a better shot at an economical hotel. That said, I prefer Disneyland, but I never go to Disneyland for a vacation. I vacation in California with friend who live there and I visit Disneyland for a few days while I'm there. WDW is really more of a place I go to specifically to visit WDW.

PattyBell

Original Poster
I was imaging it...I really love WDW and when I see the prices diferences...I don't know what to choose..but thanks for the tip.

tnemgif

I went to Disneyland for my first time last year and still really don't have an opinion of which I like better. Disneyland basically only has the one park, DCA doesn't offer too much other than a few headliner attractions in my opinion. I felt that all the attractions in Disneyland (with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions) were upgraded versions of WDW's. Then there are some attractions at Disneyland that are worth the trip in themselves in my opinion (Indiana Jones, Alice in Wonderland, the subs, POTC).
Overall, Disneyland has a very different feel than WDW. It is of course smaller, and Main Street and the castle are much less impressive. But there is a certain charm to many locations in Disneyland that can't be found in WDW(go to New Orleans Square, Hungry Bear Restaurant, or Cafe Orleans). I guess when it comes down to it, you'll probably love Disneyland but end up missing some of your favorites at WDW. Since you've already been to WDW though, I would definitely reccommend at least visiting Disneyland once.

LadyDarling

One of the great things about Disneyland's location (in a city) via Disneyworld is that you can stay off property and usually get a really good deal - and still be within walking distance. Disneyland is definately worth a visit, but I'd hold off on booking a trip just yet. See what deals turn out next year. ;)

Disneyfalcon

I love Disneyland. I used to think I would never like anything as much as Disney World, but after living in California for three years we fell in love with it. It has a wonderful, magical charm. We also were always fans of California Adventure, we never understood why it has such a bad rap. Our kids loved so many of the rides there. California Screamin is an awesome roller coaster.

DL is definitely smaller, but it is so easy to get around. Being able to walk out the gate of one park and into the gate of another, or instead turning and walking into Downtown Disney is amazing.

There's often stay 3 nights get one free specials and other discounts for the Disney hotels, but LadyDarling is right, there are some great hotels right outside the front gate within walking distance of everything.:)

ScrapIron

Although there are only 2 parks as opposed to 4, I have seen posts that added up all of the attractions, and there are only about 10 more at WDW. DL has many more rides than the MK, even while being smaller, and some are unique to DL. I've never been able to justify staying in a Disney hotel since I can get a suite across the street for $100-150. There are many rooms on Harbor Blvd that are closer to the front gates than many of the rooms in the Disney hotels. It was also built on the fly, as opposed to the Magic Kingdoms that are based upon it. Therefore, it's growth and changes have been a little more organic, and the results sometimes a bit more quirky. And of course, there's no other park in the world where you can look at a window and say "Walt used to sleep there", or ride in the same fire truck that he used to drive around the park in the pre-opening hours.

A bientot.

IROC it

^Great post, ScrapIron.:cool:

The fire truck is definitely a must do! If I had to choose based on time to be in the park and money for lodging and I lived equidistant (which I almost do), I would pick DLR every time.

That said, DLR can easily be absorbed at leisure in three days... We did it in two days in July (just me and my wife) and got in on the "5 days for 3" deal with the kids (all 4 of us)... we got to do many things twice, even three times, and with the crowds of Spring Break. We found Motel 6 to be a short walk, and we got the Anaheim Transit pass for 4 of the five days for a minimal fee.

Ironically, we paid less for a breakfast inside the park at the River Belle Terrace (iirc) than we did outside across the street at IHOP.

It's hard to beat the original in overall value... so do it if you can!

BTW- We bought our tickets for the 2 days at the Disney Store, and the "5 for 3" deal on disneyland.com - the website is the best deal source...

Have fun, and plan to go often!:xmas:

PattyBell

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for all the information guys.
We will try to go, but we'll have to wait the economic crises pass.
For us here in Brazil one dollar is equal to two and something reais. So we have to pay more than twice the price.

Iknewagirlnamed

There are plenty of walking distance hotels to Disneyland. I blind bid via Priceline.com for a 2.5 or 3 star hotel and got The Holiday Inn on Walnut Street. It is literally a block away from Disneyland. A 10 minute walk to Downtown Disney. We stayed 4 days with park hoppers to Disneyland and didn't get to see everything. It was amazing!!!

TP2000

We stayed 4 days with park hoppers to Disneyland and didn't get to see everything. It was amazing!!!

There are nearly as many rides and major entertainment offerings stuffed into the two Anaheim parks as there are in all four Orlando parks. :eek: Shocking, yet true!

Especially with Disneyland, the park is packed to the rafters with rides, attractions and shows, sometimes with rides literally being stacked on top of one another (Alice In Wonderland sitting on top of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Casey Jr. Circus Train zipping over and around the waterways of StorybookLand Canal Boats, or Autopia sitting on top of Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage with the Disneyland Monorail looping overhead).

jiogoal

visit site

well! first explain your daughter about the history of disney land.
well it is fantasy land. it is not real zoo type land.
make her known about different characters of disneyland.

FormerHMButler

Love Disneyland!

Please Please Please go to Disneyland! It will forever change your life! I'm 21 now, and my first time to Disneyland was 8 months old...lol. I have been 9 more times since (I live in MI), and have been to Disney World three times (not including my college program at WDW), and Disneyland is soooo worth it.

I even went for a weekend to Disneyland this last April while I was on my college program at Disney World, because I love it that much. Not to mention it was my first time since 99, and hadn't seen DCA or DD.

I'll admit DCA isn't all that great...I mean it's good, but it's nothing special like DHS or DAK. Especially because WDW'S TOT is so much better! That being said, Disneyland is the most amazing theme park in the world! I mean that with all my heart, cause even in my interview for WDW's college program they asked me what my favorite park was, and I told them Disneyland...lol.

Disneyland is a compelety different experience than Magic Kingdom. I feel that there is much more detail and charm (like many have said before me). Overall I think it is much better than Magic Kingdom.

For starters, I personally like their Main Street better, because it doesn't feel like one giant gift shop...lol. There are a lot of cute little shops and food stops. Oh, and that's one of the great things about Disneyland...The food.

Take it from a former cast member who has worked in quick service at WDW. Most of our quick service is from one company whereas Disneyland's quick service is unique and tastes like WDW full service. Partialy this is because you are in California, but the food at Dinseyland is phenomenal. I suggest for quick service the following: Redd Rockets Pizza Port (Tomorrowland), The French Market Restraunt (New Orleans Square), Bengal Barbecue (Adventureland) and Hungry Bear Restraunt (Critter Country). For full service, I definately suggest making a reservation at the infamous Blue Bayou. It's a little pricy, but worth it.

Many will disagree with me, but I personally like Aurora's castle better than Cinderella's. I think it's prettier and has more character. Not to mention they are re-opening the walk through this month, which is going to be even better than I remember it! For me the castle is a better fit for Walt's idea of not feeling intimidated and feeling like you could obtain anything.

The castle is also pretty amazing, because of the fireworks. Disneyland's fireworks are by far are much better than Disney World's. Not to mention, Tinker Bell actually flies back and forth. It's pretty sweet. The only thing that sucks is their fireworks can be cancelled very easily due to high winds, because of fall out.

As for the lands, I feel that the theming is much better, especially in Fantasyland. Fantasyland by far is one of the best things about Disneyland. They have Snow White, Peter Pan, and Dumbo like WDW, but they also have Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Alice In Wonderland, Storybook Canal Boats, and the Matterhorn. Their attractions aren't housed in lame carnival looking appareal, but actual themed buildings. If you haven't seen any pictures of Fantasyland, I suggest going to this website:

www.davelandweb.com/disneyland

He has a lot of great pictures of the lands and attractions!

As for Toontown, you'll be in utter shock. I went with someone who had only been to Disney World her entire life, and could not believe how huge and detailed Toontown was. At Disneyland, Toontown actually serves a purpose...lol. They also have an awesome Roger Rabbit ride, with an awesome queue line!

Tomorrowland is also a lot different, because it's actually kept up to date and looks modern. The Home of the Future is back, and Autopia is so much cooler than the Indy Speedway...lol. Their Space Mountain is so amazing that I rode it 10 times in one weekend. Not to mention they house the original Star Tours, and have a much better Buzz Lightyear ride (you get to pick up the guns!). Also, the redone submarines with Nemo is a very cool attraction that pays homage to one of the greats.

I also like Adventureland a lot at Disneyland, because their Jungle Cruise is longer, and has better spiels (in my opinion). I love Tarzan's treehouse much more than the Swiss Family one! However, the best attraction in Adventureland, and possibly one of the best in the parks, is the Indiana Jones ride. Dinosaur is one of the worst copies of copies, and you'll know what I mean after you ride Indy. Such a well themed queue, and and amazing experience in the Forbidden Temple.

My favorite land is New Orleans Square though. It houses my absolute favorite attraction, The Haunted Mansion. I worked at the Mansion in WDW, and even though I like the inside of WDW's mansion more so than Disneyland's, I feel the exterior is much more a creepy Mansion at Disneyland. Their stretching room and ballroom is much better too! The biggest difference in rides though I feel comes with Pirates. WDW is missing 8 minutes of the ride! The Pirates at WDW has no comparison to Disneyland's. The atmosphere also is very nice in NOS, and houses some of the best food.

As for Critter Country, I like both Splash Mountain and Pooh Bear better at Disneyland. Especially Pooh Bear. Pooh Bear is much more vibrant and clean. Splash Mountain has a steeper drop, and has the most animatronics than any ride of any of the parks in the world.

Now we come to Frontierland...It's okay. I like Thunder Mountain better at Disneyland, but there isn't a whole lot to do in Frontierland, unless you go at special times in the year when they use Thunder Ranch.

Fantasmic! is one of those things that you will have to judge for yourself, because I can't make up my mind on which one I like better, because I really like the Peter Pan part instead of Pochantas, but WDW utulizes the villians more, which I also like.

Sorry I posted a big long message about why Disneyland is far better than Magic Kingdom, but I wanted to convince you to go, because I know you'll have a fantastic time!

Alex

PattyBell

Original Poster
Loved your post

Alex, thank you very much for your post. I really loved ir.
It was exactly what I needed. A comparison about the parks.
And I am like your friend, only been to WDW all my life.
I was a little bit afraid because my friends that went to DD and DCA said it's not worth it and that it's better to stick with WDW.
I can't wait to go now kkkkk....it's going to be a looonnngggg 2009, since we can only go at the end of next year.

Alex, thanks again and be sure that you convinced me.

Erika

I can't possibly add anything to what Alex has said :lol: but we just came back from our first trip, and it was amazing. Don't go in trying to compare it to Disney World. There are some big differences, but each is special in its own way. Definitely worth it!!! Have fun!

FormerHMButler

Aww...PattyBell, I'm glad I could help!

If you go towards the end of the year (Oct-Dec) you'll get to experience Haunted Mansion Holiday, in which the entire ride goes Nightmare Before Christmas style!

I'm so glad you're going!

Erika

Aww...PattyBell, I'm glad I could help!

If you go towards the end of the year (Oct-Dec) you'll get to experience Haunted Mansion Holiday, in which the entire ride goes Nightmare Before Christmas style!

That was very cool. And it was mild enough not to scare my 2 year old. She loved it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom