Why is vacation club a deal for florida residents ?????

ugotzme

Original Poster
Ok guys i know everybody loves vacation club, but why is it a deal for florida residents. Lets just say that points know cost on the average 100.00 you need at least 150 points to make it worth haveing. So that is 15,000.00 plus you have the yearly upkeep cost, which is around 750.00 for that amount of points. So 750.00 x 50years=37,500.00 plus the purchase price of 15,000.00 = 52,500.00 over its life time, divide that buy 50 and on the average it cost you 1050.00 a year to have. For me being a florida resident along with my yearly pass. i can get up to 11 nights at a value resort for that kind of money.I would really like to do the vacation club, but just cant seem to find a way it would benifit me. please help

Livi's Mama

DVC Wannabe

Well, you have a good point--if you prefer to stay in the value resorts, maybe DVC isn't for you. I'm not a member (just a wanna-be), but I have stayed a few times at the DVC resorts in one- and two-bedroom units, and having that extra room--and being at such a beautiful resort--is FABULOUS. Especially for us, because we have two small children and like to have a separate room to put them to bed in if we want to stay up later. AND having a kitchen and washer and dryer aren't bad bonuses. It's enough to spoil a girl.

The other thing to remember is, rates at the resorts are not going down--just up, up, up. Moderate resort rack rates are at $165 for the regular season! Ouch! If you have DVC, you pay the cost up front for the next few decades, and you get to save your money down the road when the rack rates are much higher. Except for maintenance fees--those do go up little by little with time.

One thing that is just my opinion: I don't think it's much of a deal if you finance your purchase. Then you end up paying LOTS more in interest, and to me, that's a deal-breaker. Many people do finance their DVC memberships, but I think I'd rather wait until I can save up and buy outright (probably via resale, because it's cheaper).

Just my thoughts!

DisneyJoe

i can get up to 11 nights at a value resort for that kind of money.
DVC isn't aimed at those who stay at the value resorts, its aimed at those who usually want deluxe accommodations. Doing the comparison against the value resorts will never look good.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You really can not compare the DVC resorts to a value resort or even a moderate for that matter. If you are like me and are content with staying at a value or a moderate then DVC is not for you. The ideal person that will benefit from a DVC membership are those that go to WDW at least once every 2 years and stay for a week at a Deluxe resort. The numbers just will not work out for us Florida residents that do a bunch of 2 to 3 day weekends 6 or 7 times a year at a value or a moderate. Trust me, I have tried every way I can to make DVC work for me (did the tour twice, did the math at least 100 times) and with the way I travel it just doesn't.

scubaguy

Although we are not DVC members, we did buy a week of timeshare at one of the Marriott resorts in Orlando about 15 years ago. From a strictly financial standpoint, it probably hasn't been a particularly rewarding investment. What it has done, however, is pretty much force us to have a really nice rewarding vacation with our kids every single year. If we didn't have the timeshare, there would have been many years (like this one) where we would have decided we really couldn't afford to go anywhere. Financially rewarding, not so much. Time with the kids every year, priceless.

dizzney

We dont live in Florida, but being a DVC member is great, We bought in in 1999 at the Boardwalk, We had been told for several years that we should do DVC, now sorry we didnt do it earlier, we always stayed at Deluxe reosrts and from our calculations, the outlay recouped itself within 4 years, we have added on to our original 220 three times, now at three hundred, and purchasing now at Bay Lake also,

We find that its so flexible, we stayed at the Boardwalk for 8 nights presidents week in a one bedroom and then had 4 nights atthe Grand Calforian in Disneylad in August. And we have almost all our points available for next year.

I recommend it to anyone, we're looking at doing the cruise soon.:eek:

wannabeBelle

Also keep in mind that the accomodations may not match everyone's needs. I have that problem at every DVC property except OKW, Studio Level. I usually travel with friends and none of us ( of choice) would stay on a pull out bed. EVERY DVC property except the OKW, Studio Level has a regular bed and a pull out. OKW has two queen size beds which are perfect, but I still like the option of staying at other properties. Also I wasnt terribly impressed with the amenities at OKW, in terms of dining. I find this to be more of a Moderate level resort than a Deluxe in terms of that. Also they have got to start renting golf carts because that place is HUGE!!!!! Bottom line is for me, I dont think DVC works at all. I Also have the same problem as Master Yoda, which is multiple trips per year, not all at a Deluxe so I cant see the investment working out for me. Just my opinion! Belle

DISMOM

It's up to everyone to decide on their own, however....it all comes down to .....how much is it worth to have a washer, dryer, extra square footage of space and a kitchenette at your disposal.??? With some things, you have to decide if the price tag is worth it. And to some people, it is very much worth it.

wannabeBelle

It's up to everyone to decide on their own, however....it all comes down to .....how much is it worth to have a washer, dryer, extra square footage of space and a kitchenette at your disposal.??? With some things, you have to decide if the price tag is worth it. And to some people, it is very much worth it.

I couldnt agree more!!!! For me, as I probably wouldnt be using any of the above, it definitely wouldnt be. For some families, especially on longer stays I could certainly see how this would be of value. Belle

ugotzme

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all your input. i thank master yoda and bell are like me, locals that go on 2 and 3 night stays. I would love to be a part of the dvc but like yoda said just cant make it work for me. Thanks agin

slappy magoo

It almost sounded like you were looking for convincing. I, for one, am kinda glad no one "talked you into it." I'm a DVC member, and it works for me, but based on what you say is your pattern for visiting, I don't think it would work for you. Some things just aren't right for everyone, and what's right for you might not be right for me and vice versa. To quote the once-funny Dennis Miller, that's why there were FOUR Kiss solo albums. :D

Now if your situation ever changed, where you saw yourself visiting for 7-to-10 day trips, OR, instead of taking weekend jaunts, you found yourself in a position to take lots of MIDweek jaunts, then you might see DVC as a much better value. But just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it's a bad deal for everyone, know what I mean? I mean, your local adult-novelty store might have a great sale on faux-fur-covered handcuffs and riding crops, but if that's not where you're at, it isn't really a deal no matter how good a deal it is...

I...I said too much... :lookaroun

wannabeBelle

Thanks guys for all your input. i thank master yoda and bell are like me, locals that go on 2 and 3 night stays. I would love to be a part of the dvc but like yoda said just cant make it work for me. Thanks agin

Im not exactly local as I live in NYC, and my stays are a tad longer than yours, but the idea s the same. Belle

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It almost sounded like you were looking for convincing. I, for one, am kinda glad no one "talked you into it." I'm a DVC member, and it works for me, but based on what you say is your pattern for visiting, I don't think it would work for you. Some things just aren't right for everyone, and what's right for you might not be right for me and vice versa. To quote the once-funny Dennis Miller, that's why there were FOUR Kiss solo albums. :D

Now if your situation ever changed, where you saw yourself visiting for 7-to-10 day trips, OR, instead of taking weekend jaunts, you found yourself in a position to take lots of MIDweek jaunts, then you might see DVC as a much better value. But just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it's a bad deal for everyone, know what I mean? I mean, your local adult-novelty store might have a great sale on faux-fur-covered handcuffs and riding crops, but if that's not where you're at, it isn't really a deal no matter how good a deal it is...

I...I said too much... :lookaroun
This was one thing I really liked about the DVC. I went on the tour twice and was flat out told that the DVC was not a great option for me unless I was wanting to upgrade my accommodations. Disney has a great product but they are not trying to shove it down the throats of those who will not benefit from it. I doubt the other timeshares are quite as honorable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom