Important Change to Dining!

Thumper's Mom

Later this fall, Disney will launch an on line booking system for Advance Dining Reservations! :slurp: Should make things very interesting!

Hmm. Mixed feelings. In theory it's great, but given that it's easier to just do a few clicks than it is to phone up, might this encourage people to be even more reckless when making the reservations?

Take everyone's credit card numbers when they book (anywhere), and charge them if they don't turn up - that's my suggestion! Or remove reservations altogether apart from on the day itself.

Upvote 0

jjgoo

Yeah you are right. What was I thinking? I guess it has been so long since I have actually gone to Disney's official site I forgot how bad it was. I guess the real worry will be how th restaurants handle overbooking when the on line system will not talk to the phone system and all the restaurants will be booked to twice their capacity.:lol:

Another thing to think about is how easy it will be for people to make multiple repeated changes. Yes they do that now over the phone, but there are a lot of people when they can just click away won't even think twice about it.

Also, I know that the hotel booking site uses cookies to see what you are looking at and try to "push" you in a certain direction with booking your trip. What are they going to do with the cookie tracking for the ADRs. Will it show Tutto Italia as all booked for the week if you already have a reservation at Mama Melrose?

Sorry to bring a cynical edge to this, I just really go back to my original assertion that I like to have some flexibility on my vacation and I wish making ADRs was not so much like a blood sport.

On the up side maybe an online system will at least make things considerably easier on overseas visitors making reservations. :wave:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Another thing to think about is how easy it will be for people to make multiple repeated changes. Yes they do that now over the phone, but there are a lot of people when they can just click away won't even think twice about it.

Also, I know that the hotel booking site uses cookies to see what you are looking at and try to "push" you in a certain direction with booking your trip. What are they going to do with the cookie tracking for the ADRs. Will it show Tutto Italia as all booked for the week if you already have a reservation at Mama Melrose?

Sorry to bring a cynical edge to this, I just really go back to my original assertion that I like to have some flexibility on my vacation and I wish making ADRs was not so much like a blood sport.

On the up side maybe an online system will at least make things considerably easier on overseas visitors making reservations. :wave:
I am actually quite interested to see how "smart" this new system will be. I can think of quite a few ways that this new system could be a vast improvement over the current system but then again I can think of nearly an equal amount of ways that it will be a complete disaster. I guess only time will tell.

Upvote 0

imamouse

I will reserve judgement until I see the system. One concern I have is that it will make it even harder to get a reservation at Le Cellier unless you book right at 180 days.

I know there are a lot of people on the boards that love the advanced planning and consider booking the dining a way to really start getting into their trip. I for one miss the days where it was only important to make reservations first thing in the morning or you could even <gasp> walk up to a restaurant and walk in.

I don't like to have to have everything planned out on my vacation. Some things fine, but it has gotten to the point where you have to have all your reservations made so far in advance that you cannot really be spontaneous at all.

I also feel bad for the first timers that are less than prepared and have no clue that you cannot just walk into most restaurants at WDW. I have been sitting waiting to go into a restaurant more than once and seen some pretty disappointed people who were just winging it and obviously had no clue what it was like to get reservations.

I hope that an on-line system makes things better. Maybe it will encourage WDW to open some more places to eat so there is more opportunity for everyone to experience some of their excellent restaurants. :wave:

Good points. I used to love being about to make same-day dining reservations at nearly any of the table-service restaurants. Those were the days! First-timers are dazed and confused (and out of luck).

Yep exactly! Kinda like 24 hours before a Southwest flight, where every passenger's number 1 priority is to be beside some kind of internet device ready to do that checkin to get that best seat assignment.

I vote for removing all reservations except for signature restaurants.

Vacations for many people nowadays are more an exercise in logisitics and planning than just having fun.

I'm tempted to agree, but I'd like to at least to be able to obtain same-day ADRs to prevent having to go from door-to-door to find a table service restaurant with availability.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I am actually quite interested to see how "smart" this new system will be. I can think of quite a few ways that this new system could be a vast improvement over the current system but then again I can think of nearly an equal amount of ways that it will be a complete disaster. I guess only time will tell.

IF they are smart (cough), they will purchase the software behind an existing system like the one that powers opentable.com and modify it to fit their needs....

Someone once told me on these boards that Disney's dining situation was too unique to ever translate into an online booking system for dining......

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

but I'd like to at least to be able to obtain same-day ADRs to prevent having to go from door-to-door to find a table service restaurant with availability.

Did you know that you don't need to go "door-to-door" ? A single phone call can do it, a single stop at Guest Services, and I've been told that one restaurant can even check another restaurant's availability, but I'm not sure how true that one is.

Upvote 0

jjgoo

Good points. I used to love being about to make same-day dining reservations at nearly any of the table-service restaurants. Those were the days! First-timers are dazed and confused (and out of luck).

I'm tempted to agree, but I'd like to at least to be able to obtain same-day ADRs to prevent having to go from door-to-door to find a table service restaurant with availability.

I agree. Once you are at Disney you should be able to make same day reservations or for a day or two ahead of time. They could even have reservation kiosks throughout the property to save on personnel manning the phones and reservation booths.

There has got to be some happy medium. Hopefully Disney will find it and it will be driven at least in some part by a desire to make vacations relaxing (rather than solely on having the restaurants as packed as possible all the time). I just hate having to dash around trying to find an open table if your first choice is booked.

I'm still going to try to make same day or couple of day ahead ressies. Last Sept. that's how we got Le Cellier during free dining. We just checked a couple of times during the week and there was an opening at lunch one day that was perfect for us.

Upvote 0

jjgoo

Did you know that you don't need to go "door-to-door" ? A single phone call can do it, a single stop at Guest Services, and I've been told that one restaurant can even check another restaurant's availability, but I'm not sure how true that one is.

Yes another restaurant can make ressies for you, I have seen it done. It just depends on how busy they are at the moment. If they have a long line or are short staffed they just cannot be as helpful as you might like. You can even go into a store and see if they can help you out. Again if they are not terribly busy they can do it for you (I have seen this done too, but I don't know if it is generally allowed). Otherwise they will direct you to guest relations.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
IF they are smart (cough), they will purchase the software behind an existing system like the one that powers opentable.com and modify it to fit their needs....

Someone once told me on these boards that Disney's dining situation was too unique to ever translate into an online booking system for dining......
Again we will have to wait and see. I know said person and the reasons and they are quite valid. I myself have been at guest services and overhead someone complaining about how they could not see Illuminations from San Angel Inn. I can only imagine how many complaints like that happen on a daily basis and how many more would happen without a CM stating the ins and outs of many of the restaurants.

Upvote 0

November Girl

So what does a fall launch mean? Like September or Like the end of November? We'd love to take advantage of this prior to our Nov 1 trip. I wonder if it will be a query system As in

Restaurant _________
Date_______
Time_________
Any availabilities?

or a queriable/Chart System as in

What are all the availabilities between say 4pm and 8pm in Epcot?

This will be cool!

Upvote 0

nmj91385

I worry about the system being too busy at certain time points. Say before holidays and typically heavier attendance levels. I am afraid of getting the little message that says the reservation system is busy at this time please try back again.:(

Upvote 0

Thumper's Mom

Original Poster
Did you hear that from a bus driver or a boat captain?

:hammer:

No, no boat captain or bus driver! :ROFLOL: I love WDW so much that I became a Disney TA in 2006. I got this information right on Disney Travel Agent site. From what I understand, it's also on the Mom's Forum too.

They are talking about it launching in Oct. No definite date yet in the system.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No, no boat captain or bus driver! :ROFLOL: I love WDW so much that I became a Disney TA in 2006. I got this information right on Disney Travel Agent site. From what I understand, it's also on the Mom's Forum too.

They are talking about it launching in Oct. No definite date yet in the system.
Any details as to how it will work?

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

From D-MAIL to all travel agents selling Disney, also posted on disneytravelagents.com:

---
The Walt Disney World® Resort will release a new reservation booking system for dining, recreation and tour reservations in late October 2008. The new reservation system will replace our current Dining Reservation System and will allow you to book multiple dining reservations for your Clients in one experience, while associating reservations to your Clients’ Walt Disney World Resort room reservations.

In the future, Travel Agents and Guests will be able to make dining reservations online at disneytravelagents.com and disneyworld.com with this new reservation booking system. The launch date for this enhancement will be announced at a later date.

As a result of the system upgrade, effective July 29 through late October 2008, Guests will be able to book dining reservations up to Jan. 25, 2009 arrivals. In late October, booking processes will return to normal, allowing Guests to book up to 180 days of arrival.

The system upgrade will not impact Victoria and Albert’s Restaurant, Cinderella’s Royal Table, and Chef Mickey’s Restaurant. Those three venues will continue to observe the normal booking processes throughout the system cutover.

Note: Any and all dates listed above are subject to change without notice.
---

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

So...I don't know how I feel about this...in theory it sounds great...On one hand...I see it's perks...however, I mostly see how this is going to cause problems for people to get into restaurants. Even moreso than before.

Because it will make it easier for people to just "click" and book ressies, unless Disney does something to stop it...I see people being able to make multiple ressies for the same time period even easier. (Although, we'll see how the software actually works, it might not.)

The other thing I don't like is the fact that as someone else pointed out, it will end up being like the Southwest thing (something I actually detest doing, but put up with b/c of Southwest's prices)...where people are just waiting...hovering over their mouses until the system opens up on their day...and while that's great for those who know exactly what they want...there are those who don't or those who book their trips after that 180 day window that are going to get screwed heavily in this deal.

I really hope Disney leaves some availablities open for walk ups and day of ressies with this new system. Either that, or put on some "safegaurds." B/c if not...I am going to bet that this will cause even bigger problems in the long run.

Upvote 0

Disneybird

So...I don't know how I feel about this...in theory it sounds great...On one hand...I see it's perks...however, I mostly see how this is going to cause problems for people to get into restaurants. Even moreso than before.

Because it will make it easier for people to just "click" and book ressies, unless Disney does something to stop it...I see people being able to make multiple ressies for the same time period even easier. (Although, we'll see how the software actually works, it might not.)

The other thing I don't like is the fact that as someone else pointed out, it will end up being like the Southwest thing (something I actually detest doing, but put up with b/c of Southwest's prices)...where people are just waiting...hovering over their mouses until the system opens up on their day...and while that's great for those who know exactly what they want...there are those who don't or those who book their trips after that 180 day window that are going to get screwed heavily in this deal.

I really hope Disney leaves some availablities open for walk ups and day of ressies with this new system. Either that, or put on some "safegaurds." B/c if not...I am going to bet that this will cause even bigger problems in the long run.

Well said!

I could see people booking way more than they actually need, and then cancelling at the last minute or just not showing up, leaving others out in the cold.
Disney will have to have some sort of control over what people can book.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom