Important Change to Dining!

Thumper's Mom

Later this fall, Disney will launch an on line booking system for Advance Dining Reservations! :slurp: Should make things very interesting!

imamouse

Yippee! Hopefully this will stem the flow of ADR abuse by not allowing multiple bookings at different restaurants for the same (or similar) times.

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This will be a great improvement if it's true. Should save Disney money in terms of needing less dining reservation agents as well.

Upvote 0

jjgoo

I will reserve judgement until I see the system. One concern I have is that it will make it even harder to get a reservation at Le Cellier unless you book right at 180 days.

I know there are a lot of people on the boards that love the advanced planning and consider booking the dining a way to really start getting into their trip. I for one miss the days where it was only important to make reservations first thing in the morning or you could even <gasp> walk up to a restaurant and walk in.

I don't like to have to have everything planned out on my vacation. Some things fine, but it has gotten to the point where you have to have all your reservations made so far in advance that you cannot really be spontaneous at all.

I also feel bad for the first timers that are less than prepared and have no clue that you cannot just walk into most restaurants at WDW. I have been sitting waiting to go into a restaurant more than once and seen some pretty disappointed people who were just winging it and obviously had no clue what it was like to get reservations.

I hope that an on-line system makes things better. Maybe it will encourage WDW to open some more places to eat so there is more opportunity for everyone to experience some of their excellent restaurants. :wave:

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

I will reserve judgement until I see the system. One concern I have is that it will make it even harder to get a reservation at Le Cellier unless you book right at 180 days.

How :confused:

There's no difference between picking up a phone and clicking a mouse to make your ADR's.

I just hope that everyone logging on at 180 days to get a breakfast at Cindys doesn't cause the computers to crash

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

There's no difference between picking up a phone and clicking a mouse to make your ADR's.

I just hope that everyone logging on at 180 days to get a breakfast at Cindys doesn't cause the computers to crash
Just thinking...don't know for sure but it will open up considerably more lines of communication to the reservation system. With current phone only system you are limited by the number of CM's manning the phones and the time it takes for them to check the system. With an on line system the only limit is the bandwidth which will more than likely be considerable. As it sits now Cindy's and Le Cellier can book out in less than half an hour on that 180 day mark with an on line system that could be reduced to minutes or seconds. I can just see thousands of people sitting on line poised to hit the send button at exactly 7:00 AM.

Upvote 0

Richie248

Exciting news, I'm a big fan of booking online, you can access the system 24/7, and you don't have to wait on hold. This is much like ticket brokers moving from phone to online. Instead of waiting by the phone to get reservations at the castle, we'll have to spend our mornings hitting the refresh button on our comps.

Is there some sort of release from Disney concerning the new online system?

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
. I can just see thousands of people sitting on line poised to hit the send button at exactly 7:00 AM.

Yep exactly! Kinda like 24 hours before a Southwest flight, where every passenger's number 1 priority is to be beside some kind of internet device ready to do that checkin to get that best seat assignment.

I vote for removing all reservations except for signature restaurants.

Vacations for many people nowadays are more an exercise in logisitics and planning than just having fun.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

There is a huge difference making your reservations online vs calling. That means you can make reservations online 24 hours a day. Plus most people prefer to just click a mouse and check availability. I work on a computer all day and its far more easier to use the mouse vs calling, plus everyone hears what I am doing.

I would hate to see online vs calling just because of those reasons. More people have access to making ressies thus making it harder for me to get my choice.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

Just thinking...don't know for sure but it will open up considerably more lines of communication to the reservation system. With current phone only system you are limited by the number of CM's manning the phones and the time it takes for them to check the system. With an on line system the only limit is the bandwidth which will more than likely be considerable. As it sits now Cindy's and Le Cellier can book out in less than half an hour on that 180 day mark with an on line system that could be reduced to minutes or seconds. I can just see thousands of people sitting on line poised to hit the send button at exactly 7:00 AM.
7am? I see people at their PC at midnight 12am eastern time (11pm my time :D)

Upvote 0

J_Krafty24

I wonder if this will open up a whole new can of worms of people bored and on the computer deciding to book real dining reservations for pretend trips just because they can and its easy. Though they could prevent this by requiring you call an automated line after making the reservation and enter a code to finialize it or even an email doing the same thing could cut down on it.

I don't see how this would prevent someone from double booking though. People are just as likely to have multiple emails they can use as they are to have multiple phonelines in the household (cell and landlines).

Upvote 0

Thumper's Mom

Original Poster
I have also read (not sure of the details here) that it will also "link" dining reservations to your room reservation. I wonder if they will use this for only resort guests only. If they need your reservation # when booking on line, they might have something to prevent you from double booking for the same time frame. I know when I call into Disney dining for making clients' dining, they will normally check everything they have booked.

Not 100% sure...just thinking outloud!:p

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

With an on line system the only limit is the bandwidth which will more than likely be considerable.

:ROFLOL: You're kidding right? On a DISNEY website???

If I worked in the Disney IT Department I would be highly embarrassed with all of the times their machines crash or hang or go down.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
:ROFLOL: You're kidding right? On a DISNEY website???

If I worked in the Disney IT Department I would be highly embarrassed with all of the times their machines crash or hang or go down.
Yeah you are right. What was I thinking? I guess it has been so long since I have actually gone to Disney's official site I forgot how bad it was. I guess the real worry will be how th restaurants handle overbooking when the on line system will not talk to the phone system and all the restaurants will be booked to twice their capacity.:lol:

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Disney's site does have issues alot of the time. :brick:I was so aggravated by the time I got our reservations booked online this year I almost pulled my hair out!

Maybe I am strange but I enjoy making my ADRs the current way. They are always so nice and helpful. :shrug:

I just hope there is something that will keep people from double booking as others have said.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom