Start paying for Fast-Pass?

SteveUK

That's a well considered argument, I'm sure the board members won't sleep tonight.

I can see some good logic to charging for the system. I can see some real value in the idea. It would have the effect of reducing wait times which is what the system was designed to do. When you arrive at a park in the morning and a ride like Soarin' is already giving a stupid return time of late evening, the system is not working as it should. There are too many people who collect fastpasses simply because they are free and do not use them, thereby just pushing the return time back for others. If there was a charge, or a priority system, only people who are entitled, or are really going to use them will collect them and this will reduce the return time.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Makes for a very interesting read. A lot of technology that has a good side (as well as that dark side). Being as half of the Disney guests still can't figure out manual FP, I have to believe that this technology would not be embraced by the masses. For those that are technosavvy, and the planning freaks, it would be a real winner.

Edit: I didn't read anywhere that there would be a charge for the service. Appears to be another incentive to stay in the park. There could probably be an option as a non Disney hotel resident to subscribe to the system for an annual or per day fee (althought that is pure speculation)

chels26

that is the most ridiculous thing i think i have ever read. and also really confusing. i think i got the jist. I will be really disappointed if they go through with this plan..

lilclerk

I don't mind reading Jim Hill (though I don't really believe him) but does anyone else here hate the whole "Why for" thing? That annoys me. So do the constant pop-ups that Firefox blocks.

Anyway, the whole whoever-spends-more-gets-higher-priority is stupid.
I do think they should start enforcing return times more though.

Laura

Premium Member
On the plus side, I like that the future seems to hold better ideas for virtual queueing. I would love to make my reservations for rides a day in advance and spend less time running from one end of the park to the other trying to keep up with fastpasses.

On the negative side, I don't think that giving fastpasses to resort guests only is a good idea at all. All these "incentives" to stay on property are starting to get irritating. Dining plans, extra magic hours, etc...they kinda make things miserable for people who live locally or don't always stay on site. If they want this type of system I think they should also make fastpasses available to annual passholders.

donald23

Sounds pretty farfetched, but who knows what it will really be like once implemented. Most of us don't like change, especially when it comes to Disney. Well.... sometimes. But anyways, I think it lookes like a great system if it was possible to do it, which I highly doubt. First of all, how can the distribution of fastpasses be determined by a guest's ability to stay at a Disney resort, which makes economic status a factor in deciding who waits 5 min. and who waits 120 min. to ride an attraction. Second, believe it or not, there are tons of people out there who don't own cell phones, or choose not to carry one around. Again, it's not fair to allow this service to be used only by a select amount of people. IMO, the way the system works now is almost perfect. Aside from the wasting of paper, the current system of running Fastpass on a first-come first-serve basis is great, giving every guest the opportunity to take advantage of Fastpass.

Brian Noble

Personally, I'm surprised FASTPASS is still revenue-neutral. Disney is the last hold-out offering a free virtual queueing system. Cedar Fair eliminated theirs entirely. Universal eliminated their free version. At the same time Six Flags has been expanding their pay version, and Dollywood added a pay version for shows two years ago, and expanded it to rides this year.

It is increasingly becoming clear that some guests are willing to pay for virtual queueing. Given the Mouse's distaste for leaving money on the table, this seems to be only a matter of "when", not "if".

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
The other thing I don't like is the potential for so many to make ressies then blow them off. I'm surprised that Disney (with a few high end exceptions) doesn't require a deposit for reservations. Particularly with the dining plans, it seems there are a lot of tables "reserved" where no one shows up. This seems to have gotten worse lately.

While there are some current FP users that don't show, I think the vast majority do. With the electronic system, I would conservatively estimate forfeiture of time at > 50%

Chezman1399

The other thing I don't like is the potential for so many to make ressies then blow them off. I'm surprised that Disney (with a few high end exceptions) doesn't require a deposit for reservations. Particularly with the dining plans, it seems there are a lot of tables "reserved" where no one shows up. This seems to have gotten worse lately.

While there are some current FP users that don't show, I think the vast majority do. With the electronic system, I would conservatively estimate forfeiture of time at > 50%

They actually do require deposits depending on the time of year and restaurant. Most don't, but when it's needed (i.e. Popular Restaurants during busy times of the year) to assure they are not going to let down another guest who wants to make reservations they do it.

bgraham34

At some point in time I think this will happen. It might not be this year or next year but 10 years down the line you can almost bet on it. Technology changes and Disney has to change with it. If Universal does it Disney will.

New2WDW

The "Mouse" as Jim puts it has been using Free Dining to get people on property and it sounds like this new gadget will be used as an incentive to get more people to stay in the Deluxe Resorts.

I personally am not a fan of this next phase of fast passes! I saw a similar system used at six flags where people could pay mega bucks on top of the park entry fee and go to the front of the line at any ride while I sat and waited to ride. Yes I know...why don't I just get one? Well it cost enough just to get into the park with my family and I did not really have the extra for a special fast pass thingy and due to having to wait in regular lines compounded with these devices we barely got to ride anything. So for the regular customer it is very bad. They might as well get rid of the Fast Pass System and double the ticket prices. That way only those who have lots of money can go to the parks, the rest of us can just peek in from the outside gates! Just my opinion. :D

devoy1701

I didn't read the article. BUT...I am very keen on the idea of fastpasses becoming available only to onsite resort guests (and the DTD resorts). While shopping at the Emporium a couple weeks ago, I noticed somone had left their stack of unused fastpasses by a register, it was for a family of 5 and there must have been 4 or 5 different attractions in the pile!

I'm sure there are many people that get fastpasses and don't use them and I think it's rediculous! The scanners should be make to read YKTW cards instead of park tickets... Then the "come back times" will only be an hour or 2 away and the lines for fast pass won't be so long.

I'll start writing my ideas so I can put them on my application when I go to apply for Manager of All Things Walt Disney World. =)

WDWFigment

Before everyone gets too worried about this, read the first discussion point on Jim Hill's site:

"How is this new news, Jim?

On page 92 of "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2006" by Bob Sehlinger, a book you are quoted as an "expert" in, there is a full paragraph on this:

'The new patent is remakable straightforward in explaining that the beneficiaries of these FASTPASS enhancements are Disney resort guests. In an effort to boost occupancy (and revenue) at their resorts, Disney is apparently considering a tiered FASTPASS system, where guests staying at more expensive Disney properties get more FASTPASS features. Here's a quote from the patent:

'Spending per guest at hotels can determine different hierarchies of access to Fastpass. Thus, the more that is spent by a patron, the higher the priority can be for Fastpass.'

This is a quote from a book that's nearly three years old, Jim."

I don't think we have a whole lot to worry about in the near future. Just because a company applies for a patent doesn't mean they will use it, either. They just have a good technology they don't want others using (for free).

DisneyJoe

Your title of "Start Paying for FastPass" didn't match the contents of the article at all - and besides, this has been around for at least a year - if not longer.

All they are saying is that they MAY implement a system, based on your Disney resort type, where you MAY get added perks for pre-reserving fastpasses - based on the resort level you are at.

Nothing mentioned paying for a fastpass.

If it did, please correct me!

PeoplemoverTTA

First of all, how can the distribution of fastpasses be determined by a guest's ability to stay at a Disney resort, which makes economic status a factor in deciding who waits 5 min. and who waits 120 min. to ride an attraction.

Let me start off by saying I am not formally an FP "basher," as I've seen some people become coined on some fan boards. I utilize FP whenever I travel to WDW or DL. My brother, a former CP in 1999 who worked at MK during the very early stages of FP, complained that it made the lines worse....I ignored him.

I must say, I have seen some extremely persuasive, logical, and factual posts on fan boards recently detailing exactly why FP does not work. I've also seen it with my own eyes. When HM had FP, I waited in 45-60 minute queues. Now that FP has been removed, I have never, in my 10 WDW visits over the past 2 years (including Christmas, August, as well as slower periods) seen the posted wait time above 20 minutes (which usually means 10). Similarly, Stitch rarely uses FP anymore, but I have seen it functioning with a queue of 60 minutes (which you will never, ever get back :rolleyes:). During Spring Break, and also the beginning of August when I visited MK, FP was not functional, and the wait time was 5-10 minutes (obviously not as good an example as HM because this well....isn't as popular, to put it nicely; however, I think it still speaks volumes about FP).

My own experience, coupled with highly logical posts demonstrating how FP makes queues worse, and this newfangled idea of letting the "haves" wait less time, really has me convinced FP makes it harder for the average tourist to see every WDW attraction during his or her vacation.

Will I still use FP during my vacations? Sure. I don't have small kids who can't necessary hightail it from Splash Mountain to Buzz in time to use FP, then back to BTM, all within an hour. Still, I can't help but think how much easier it would be without the hassle of worrying about FP times across the park (similarly for DDP and ADRs, which by essentially negating walk-in patrons, has made it increasingly difficult to have a casual, not commando-scheduled vacation).

Imagine if we could all wait in shorter queues for everything and eliminate bitterness from people who (still can't figure out how) don't know about/how to use FP. Most important, shorter queues for everything :D.

amyhughes

I just really hope not. The caste system should not be in evidence at Disney this blatantly. I mean, sure, there are some guests who when you walk through Grand Flroidian for your character breakky just look at you like Value resort folk but come on!

How as parents are we supposed to explain the multitudes of people going by us in line to our kids?

Disney MDACK

Original Poster
Your title of "Start Paying for FastPass" didn't match the contents of the article at all - and besides, this has been around for at least a year - if not longer.

All they are saying is that they MAY implement a system, based on your Disney resort type, where you MAY get added perks for pre-reserving fastpasses - based on the resort level you are at.

Nothing mentioned paying for a fastpass.

If it did, please correct me!

I was just going by his headline for the article. "New Disney patent application reveals that FASTPASS-for-pay is not so far away".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom