Hurricane Survival Thread 2017 updates!

masterv

Woody13 said:
Mom had mentioned earlier about having a battery powered fan. While at Wal-Mart the other day, I found an "02-Cool" fan and it only costs about $14.00:

We purchased several of those fans too along with tons of batteries for it. :D

Woody13

The Mom said:
Woody, I didn't mean to imply that we'll be "every man for himself" after a storm! The whole street pitched in last time, and next time we'll have an even better plan. It's just that we're in a "urban" area, so there is no way, if there were a widespread power outage, that we could possibly have enough supplies for the whole "neighborhood."

Within a couple of miles there are people who are "predators" under normal conditions, so I have no reason to believe that they would behave any better in a disaster. There are also several apartment buildings nearby, which increases the number of people with whom we would be "sharing" our supplies.
Yes Mom, I know exactly what you are saying. Indeed, we made some new friends after both Ivan and Dennis. We all pitched in to help one another after those storms. We have some elderly couples that live in our neighborhood. They couldn't provide any physical labor but they were able to help in other ways, such as making sandwiches for our little work crews and providing some supplies. As you said, it was a group effort. We all tried to help each other as best we could.

We had some neighbors that had evacuated for Dennis and part of the roof was blown off their house and a large window on the north side of the house was smashed in by a tree limb. Several of us put a tarp on the damaged portion of the roof, cut up the tree limb with a chainsaw and boarded up the window. We also kept a close eye on the house to make sure looters did not take advantage of the situation. We too have a criminal element in our community that is not too far away.

Of course you're right, one person can't store up enough supplies to share with the entire neighborhood. Heck, I don't even know everyone in our neighborhood. House prices got so high after Ivan, that a lot of people sold their houses so we've got a lot of new families here. I was mainly talking about "old timers" like me. I've lived in this house for 24 years and there are several people that have lived here longer than me.

Also my daughter owns a house just two blocks away from me and my son owns a house just down the road from me as well. We all coordinate our efforts to make sure everyone is safe and sound. And naturally, as you know well Mom, when the proverbial scat hits the fan, as the family patriarch, I am expected to always have the solution to every problem. Therefore, I keep a cache of tools and supplies on hand just for "problem solving" (not to mention my experience and knowledge base). However, you know all about that!

I'll give you an example. After Ivan we went without power for about a week. After power was restored, my son called me and said, "Every time I turn on the microwave, the lights in the dining room get brighter." When I heard him say that, I immediately went down to his house with my power meter and made a few tests (this was at 9 PM on a Sunday). I realized what the problem was and immediately called the power company to report an open neutral. I am not an electrician and I don't play one on TV but I know enough to know how to check a circuit. :D

My son said, "The power company isn't going to come out here on a Sunday night". Well, within 15 minutes the power company showed up and ran a new wire to his house. My son couldn't believe the response from the power company until I explained to him that an open transformer neutral could have easily caused his house to burn down. Also, the power company ended up paying to replace his washing machine and refrigerator! Dad to the rescue!

It pleases me to know that I can still help my son, my daughter and other people when they need help. :wave:

Woody13

More Hurricane Preparation Information

A gallon of gasoline weighs about 6.25 lbs. Therefore, a 5 gallon container of gas weights in at over 31 lbs. Trying to fill the gas tank on a generator with a 5 gallon gas can is a rather cumbersome job. Most of the time, you end up spilling some of the gas in the process. In order to solve this problem, I purchased 5 smaller 2+ gallon gas cans. My plan was to transfer gas from the 5 gallon cans to the smaller cans and then use the smaller cans to fill the generator gas tank.

When I ran my generator tests earlier this spring, I employed this method and it worked very well. I was able to make the gasoline transfers without spilling a drop of fuel. However, I conducted my tests under ideal conditions. In a real emergency, I'm going to run that generator 24/7 and that means that some fueling will be done at night with only a flashlight for illumination. I wanted to see if I could find a better fueling method.

Today, at Lowe's, I think I found a device that will help me in this regard. It's the Flo N' Go. The Flo N' Go is a self-priming gas siphon pump that includes a six gallon tank. You just set the tank at a level higher than the tank you intend to fill and then squeeze the handle just like a pump at the gas station. Lowe's is selling these for $12.54 (plus tax) so I bought two. I'm going to test one later this week.

It will be very easy to fill these containers from my 5 gallon gas cans without spilling a drop. :wave:

Woody13

I've got an update to the Flo N' Go siphon pump. I opened the box and put the thing together and I found that it comes with all the adapters needed to use the device with other gas cans as well. That means that I will not have to transfer gas from my Blitz 5 gallon cans to the Flo N' Go can, I can connect the device directly to each of my Blitz 5 gallon cans!

I tried it out today and this device works very well. You just have to place the gas can at a level higher than the tank you intend to fill and pump the handle a few times and the siphon action starts. It runs at a rate of about 2 gallons per minute so it takes about 3 minutes to fill a 5 gallon tank.

This device is going to make gasoline transfer to my generator and/or cars a lot easier. Also, now my total gasoline hoard is 102 gallons! :wave:

talkinghands

My husband and I have gone through numerous hurricanes including the aftermath of hurricane Andrew, a cat 5 storm. As we were out of town for Andrew, it took 3 days before my husband could even get back in and assess the damage to our home. We returned home a week after the storm and the first night had to sleep in our cars as the carpeting needed to be removed before we could live in it at all.
One thing we found really important is to get a set of prescriptions from our doctors for emergency use and have a months back-up on hand.
Of course plenty of flashlights. You do not want to use candles or hurricane lamps during a storm although they are fine for after the storm. Batteries for the flashlights.
A manual can opener. You wouldn't believe how many people forget these.
Important documents can be put in water tight Tupperware storage containers to protect them.
Be aware it may take some time for the insurance adjusters to arrive. It took more than six weeks for them to get to us after Andrew. Document everything you have to remove from your home because of damage. Before take photos of each room and store these with your important documents as well as invoices and sales reciepts if you have them. Make a list of all damaged items by room for the adjuster.
We have a Coleman propane stove and oven to cook on and set it up on our screened porch and have an entire kitchen area. To get a bath my husband heats a large pot of water to take the chill off a bath. Another is to leave the hose out in the sun and then run that water into the tub through the window. No water. See if your neighbor has a pump.

Debbie

BTW, the ants are still here. Last night, my son started screaming!!! They were on the top bunk, crawling on his pillow!!! I've sprayed his room twice (last night and this morning) stripped the beds, and will spray again tomorrow.

I've heard that people were still trying to get rid of them 2 years after Andrew...ugh!

I was re-reading this thread and I still have an ant problem; one year after Katrina. I don't like insecticides in the kitchen but I finally found something that's warded them off so far: Fresh coffee grinds. They have magically disappeared even if my boys leave spilled Koolaid on the counter top. I just have some in a bowl sitting out on the counter.

cobaltbluechase

115600W_sm.gif

This is the latest from NHC. I know to always wait till the last minute for changes but if it stays somewhat like this I should be fine. I'm traveling Thursday morning and should be arriving in Orlando at 3ish so the storm should be up north when I get up there. Right? This is just civilian speculation....I could be very wrong

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just went through my food supplies (I do this every January) and will need to purchase more irradiated milk, canned vegetables, and more soup. I puchase at least a case of bottled water every week, as no one else ever seems to refill the Brita pitcher. :rolleyes:

The secret is to only buy goods that you would use anyways. I use canned chicken, tune, etc all year, so always have good supply. I use up the canned vegetables in making a veggie chili. The only item I have is the boxed milk, which I don't use, so it does get wasted. When my children used to bring lunches to school, I was able to chill and pack it to rotate through.

Another hint I use is to never use anything smaller than a $1 bill to purchase anything. At the end of the day, I put all of my leftover $1s and change into a shoebox in my closet. This is my emergency fund, so I don't have run to the bank when a warning is issued. I've saved enough in the past to purchase my generator, and I also use (in January) some of the money to replenish supplies. I have about $1500 right now, 6/1/2010, to purchase supplies and still keep a couple of hundred on hand.
Note : I used some of this stash to buy a generator, and some other supplies.
Of course, you could always do the same thing (save all your dollars and change) to save for your WDW trips. ;)

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hey folks....hurricane season begins today, so I thought I'd revive this thread.

The latest local survey shows that 83% of people have NO disaster plans whatsoever. It would take a minimum of 20 hours for those in the Jacksonville area who MUST evacuate to get out. These are the people living east of the intracoastal and in low lying areas; this would be for Cat 1-3 storms. Worse storms would increase the time needed. This also does NOT include evacuees from counties further south who might be using I-95.

So now is the time for anyone who could be in the path of a storm to read the official preparedness guides, stock up on supplies, and have a plan.

Even if your plan is to get out of the way, decide where and when. You don't want to be wandering aimlessly, or stuck in traffic, when the storm hits.

toadh63

Tax-free in Florida

Thanks for the reminder, Mom...

Floridians, tax-free for hurricane supplies started today until the 12th, so it's a great time to get prepped and save that 7 percent.

Now, if it'd just rain...

I got the car washed yesterday - that's usually a rain magnet.

Rabflmom

Hey folks....hurricane season begins today, so I thought I'd revive this thread.

The latest local survey shows that 83% of people have NO disaster plans whatsoever. It would take a minimum of 20 hours for those in the Jacksonville area who MUST evacuate to get out. These are the people living east of the intracoastal and in low lying areas; this would be for Cat 1-3 storms. Worse storms would increase the time needed. This also does NOT include evacuees from counties further south who might be using I-95.

So now is the time for anyone who could be in the path of a storm to read the official preparedness guides, stock up on supplies, and have a plan.

Even if your plan is to get out of the way, decide where and when. You don't want to be wandering aimlessly, or stuck in traffic, when the storm hits.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Definitely can remember the parking lot on I-95 for Hurricane Francis in 2004. I think it was a 10 hour drive from Melbourne to Jacksonville. We work retail so store stayed open as long as it could. By the time we got on the road at 9pm we took US1 and avoided the traffic on I-95. There was already a curfew through all the towns along US1 but no one stopped us from driving. Road was pretty deserted and took us about 3 hours to get to Jacksonville. There we joined the bumper to bumper line of Florida cars heading North.

We stayed in town for Jeanne(winds were actually worse than Katrina but we didn't have the surge like Katrina) which was sort of scary; but were able to get back to the damage quicker that way.
The drive back from TN after Francis was just horrible. We had watched the reporters standing on the river bank right next to our complex and saw how much damage was done in the area. We figured we were homeless.
There were very few gas stations open and nowhere to find a restroom once you got in the state. We traveled home in the caravan of utility trucks coming down to help. Got back into town just as reserves were closing the exits to residents only. Luckily the roof was still intact and we only had broken windows. We only lost one room to damage so we were lucky.
We hadn't gotten the new windows in before Jeanne hit so even more damage in the same room when we were allowed back in the area where we live.

Living without electricity is a challenge, but can be fun.
We ended up rigging up screen so we could leave doors open for the couple weeks without air. We found out there really wasn't a problem with bugs or mosquitoes because there really weren't any. Extra roll of screen might be something to buy just in case so you can get a breeze going through your house.

If you are a new resident, one thing you need is a ROTARY PHONE-THE OLD TYPE THAT DOES NOT PLUG INTO ELECTRIC. We were without a phone for weeks-even the cell towers were either down or too busy with emergency service to get messages out for days and days. You also have to figure out where you can recharge the cell phones. I took mine to work and charged while working.

The other thing we learned. If you think there will be tent cities and food wagons nearby to feed you, you will go hungry. True, there were ice stations and the fire department did bring ice to our complex for over a week, but the red cross food wagons etc. were only in a couple places and most people would have to drive miles and miles to get to them. There were none in my town of over 100,000 people so we would have had to go to the next town, which is a problem because it is very hard to get gas after a hurricane. Pumps are emptied before storm gets here and it takes time to get them up and running after storms. Lines were miles long at the stations that could reopen. So another necessity are 5 gallon gas containers, but store safely.

We moved farther from the river but now have a well run by electric pumps which means we won't have water as long as the electric is off. Some areas took a month to get electric to the homes out here. We will have to start saving jugs and stock up on water just in case.

And of course now is the time to buy tarps, batteries, fuel for grills, shutters or plywood, and lots of canned goods.

And then..........pray the predictions are wrong and that no one gets hit by a major huirricane this year.

Maria

I just read this whole thread trying to think if I was missing something getting ready for Dean now.
I already have money I took from the ATM; after a hurricane, it´s hard to find cash and not everyone takes credit cards.
Someone mentionned charging the cell phone in the car - thanks for reminding me about my car charger!
We already have lamps charged and with batteries.
I already filled up my car´s gas tank because after the hurricane, gas is also hard to find.
We have enough food and water supplies. The tip about the manual can opener is very good!
I need to find my little radio... what else!!?? I am trying to think of more - lol.

The thing I like of the "after the storm" life is that we learn to live with less satisfactors and appreciate the things we take for granted everyday.... but that´s all. ;)

DDuckFan130

I just read this whole thread trying to think if I was missing something getting ready for Dean now.
I already have money I took from the ATM; after a hurricane, it´s hard to find cash and not everyone takes credit cards.
Someone mentionned charging the cell phone in the car - thanks for reminding me about my car charger!
I already filled up my car´s gas tank because after the hurricane, gas is also hard to find.
We have enough food and water supplies. The tip about the manual can opener is very good!
I need to find my little radio... what else!!?? I am trying to think of more - lol.

The thing I like of the "after the storm" life is that we learn to live with less satisfactors and appreciate the things we take for granted everyday.... but that´s all. ;)
Have plenty of candles for after the storm so you won't waste batteries on the flashlights on such?

Have board games ready? :lookaroun

We rode out Wilma and we were without power for a week. It was interesting how we suddenly got together as a family and played board games :lol:

And be ready for real cold water in the shower :lookaroun

Another thing we always do is we have always had many empty newspaper bags and we fill them up with ice and stick them in the freezer (and we always put the fridges at the coldest temps so they last longer after the storm) and use them for our coolers after. Ice is another precious resource after the storm :lol:

Edit: Annnd I just realized everything I said was covered :lookaroun My bad :lol:

Maria

Have plenty of candles for after the storm so you won't waste batteries on the flashlights on such?

Have board games ready? :lookaroun

We rode out Wilma and we were without power for a week. It was interesting how we suddenly got together as a family and played board games :lol:

And be ready for real cold water in the shower :lookaroun

Another thing we always do is we have always had many empty newspaper bags and we fill them up with ice and stick them in the freezer (and we always put the fridges at the coldest temps so they last longer after the storm) and use them for our coolers after. Ice is another precious resource after the storm :lol:

Edit: Annnd I just realized everything I said was covered :lookaroun My bad :lol:

LOL it´s ok, thank you! Good thing we have gas for the stove so we can have some hot water - it´s fun "showering" with your bucket of water... the downside is when you have to wash your hair! hehe
Candles - checked too! thanks! :wave:

DDuckFan130

LOL it´s ok, thank you! Good thing we have gas for the stove so we can have some hot water - it´s fun "showering" with your bucket of water... the downside is when you have to wash your hair! hehe
Candles - checked too! thanks! :wave:
Take care! :)

SpongeScott

Fill your bathtub with water?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom