dining outside of disney world

mary219

I am wondering what other restaurants(sit down or counter service.even take out)in the disney area you would recommend.We are driving down from ny in august and am a bit leery of disney dining exclusively.I see so many different reviews of the same restaurants and the prices are high at many of them(i realize theme park food is always overpriced,but paying extra for a hot dog or fries is alot different than paying extra for a steak in a sit down restaurant that is just ok ).So I am asking for any advice on restaurants close to disney that are good for a family of 4 ,kids are 10 and 9.I am basically looking for good food for the prices I am paying.Even some chain restaurants that may not be around in nyc area,like macaroni grill,dennys,whatever you feel is the best for your buck.thanks for any advice

ImaYoyo

I am wondering what other restaurants(sit down or counter service.even take out)in the disney area you would recommend.We are driving down from ny in august and am a bit leery of disney dining exclusively.I see so many different reviews of the same restaurants and the prices are high at many of them(i realize theme park food is always overpriced,but paying extra for a hot dog or fries is alot different than paying extra for a steak in a sit down restaurant that is just ok ).So I am asking for any advice on restaurants close to disney that are good for a family of 4 ,kids are 10 and 9.I am basically looking for good food for the prices I am paying.Even some chain restaurants that may not be around in nyc area,like macaroni grill,dennys,whatever you feel is the best for your buck.thanks for any advice
I never understood eating off property. Between the time and gas waisted in travel, and the minimal price difference, it is many times better to eat on property. There are some GREAT restaurants at decent prices too. Boma is an amazing all you can eat buffett, Kona Cafe is fairly priced and has wonderful food. Beaches and cream is very fun, good food and prices are good.

But that being said, if you really feel the need to leave property, Qdobo is a good quick-tex-mex place right off of 535. Alehouse and Bahama Breeze are decent too, but prices are disney-esque at bahama breeze. If you're looking to drive a bit to get a different experience Season's 52 is wonderful, but does not fall in the 'inexpensive' category. pizza xtreme is a GREAT pizza place for NY pizza. The only pizza I've had since I've lived down south that even compared to the city. Owners are from Brooklyn and have since retired, but came out of retirement to make some more pies.

But Disney has so many unique restaurants at a fair price. Don't forget about all you can eat ribs at Ft. Wilderness too. And whispering canyon's prices aren't too shabby either. And the quick service restaurants at AK (all of them) are not to be missed.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

I happen to like Ale House which is right off 535 just pass the Crossroads. Also the Crossroads on 535 there is Chevy's, Pizzaria Uno, Friday's, Perkins, some Buffalo Wing place which I haven't tried but looks good, to name a few.

Bahama Breeze is good, but if you're going to pay that kind of money, you might as well eat in Disney. There is also a ton of stuff on International Drive, pretty much anything you could want. We went to Tu Tu Tango a few times and had a great time, but this can be pricie if you have big eaters since it is tapas.

Upvote 0

ImaYoyo

I happen to like Ale House which is right off 535 just pass the Crossroads. Also the Crossroads on 535 there is Chevy's, Pizzaria Uno, Friday's, Perkins, some Buffalo Wing place which I haven't tried but looks good, to name a few.

Bahama Breeze is good, but if you're going to pay that kind of money, you might as well eat in Disney. There is also a ton of stuff on International Drive, pretty much anything you could want. We went to Tu Tu Tango a few times and had a great time, but this can be pricie if you have big eaters since it is tapas.
Wing place is Bufalo Wild Wings (aka BW3 AkA Bdubs) and is in fact good as well. If you've never tried it, it has good food, but be prepared for sub-par service. But for me, the food (keep in mind, sports bar) is good enough to justify the crappy service I usually get.

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

Bahama Breeze is good. Giordano's past Palm Parkway is good. We also like Sweet Tomatoes on I-Drive. We used to hit it on the way to the outlet mall.

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

I'm part of the "Why?" crowd. I don't think that it is really worth your time when you factor in convenience, gas, and some spotty service and food. But if you are looking for a recommendation, what kind of fare are you looking for?

Upvote 0

Rammstein

My parents and myself reccomend Perkins and Race Rock on I-Drive and Hard Rock Cafe in City Walk between Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

Upvote 0
As a parrot head I like to visit Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville at Universal's City Walk. A couple of Corona's, a few fozen concoctions and a cheeseburger make the trip worthwhile.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

I'm part of the "Why?" crowd. I don't think that it is really worth your time when you factor in convenience, gas, and some spotty service and food. But if you are looking for a recommendation, what kind of fare are you looking for?

Because there is more to life that just eating at Disney. Since part of my ritual in visiting the world includes shopping, I find it silly for me to drive all the way back to disney if I'm up at the top of I-Drive to just eat at Disney. There are also some very good restaurants down there that are excellent. Christini's (great place with no rug rats), Morton's up in the Dr. Philips area and there are some other very nice restaurants there that I want to try like Moon Fish, as well as Emeril's, Chop-Chop in Universal to name a few.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Wing place is Bufalo Wild Wings (aka BW3 AkA Bdubs) and is in fact good as well. If you've never tried it, it has good food, but be prepared for sub-par service. But for me, the food (keep in mind, sports bar) is good enough to justify the crappy service I usually get.

Thanks for the info, will have to try it sometime. I know when going to these types of places, I'm not getting white gloved service, but as long as the food is good and service not so horrible, I can live with that.

Upvote 0

dragonfox98

Hey, there! My family and I stay off of 27 when we go to WDW, so we drive 192 to get to and from the parks. There are a lot of restaurants not very far from WDW and the resorts! I think we saw a Sizzler and a whole bunch of other places - you name the chain and it is along the road! I suggest going to Mapquest and then doing a restaurant search around an address.

Good luck and good eats!

Upvote 0

jasondiff

A good place I just found last trip is CiCi's pizza. It's $4.49 for an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet, with salad bar too. And they don't even gouge you for drinks. It ends up being $5.99 per person with tax for the buffet and a soda. It's on Palm Parkway, take 535 north from the Crossroads and make the right onto Palm Parkway and it's in the shopping center on the right.

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
Giordano's and Sweet Tomatoes show up frequently in response to the "What's your favorite place to eat outside WDW" question in the Unofficial Guide. We tried more than a dozen entrees from Giordano's earlier this month, and it was good "neighborhood Italian" fare. Reasonably priced. Friendly staff. I'd eat there again. Cheese pizza is good.

If anyone knows of a good Mexican restaurant outside the parks, I'd appreciate a reference.

Len

Upvote 0

Kerby626

"Welcome to Cici's" Jeez I hate that. Anyway, here's my .02 on the whole thing. Disney has a huge variety of dining for everyone. And just around the corner you have just as many great places off property. The first day of any trip I take to Disney I try to eat at any Shoney's in the area. Get the breakfast buffett and you cant go wrong.

Try Google and look up other restaraunts in the area. A long time ago there was a killer Italian place called Sorrento's. I wish I could remember where they were. They were on the Mickey Mouse Club back in the 90's, something about "Italian Day". My dad and I knew the owner but I was only 12 or so and for the life of me cant recall where they were located.

Edited to say Sorrento's is gone. Long live the Waffle House!!!

Hope that helps

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

In the Crossroad's Plaza on 535 (by Goodings) is Jungle Jims. It's got a cute theme your family might like! Great burgers....

My husband and I travel off Disney property only to get supplies (water,soda,etc.). We find that the traffic in these congested areas is another reason to stay and eat on property. We've spent some major time stuck in traffic jams. Plus- Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club is a mere 5 minute walk from EPCOT's back door!

Here's a Disney economy idea. Eat at the hotels. Each hotel has a food court with some reasonable options beyond just burgers and fries. Polynesian just redid theirs. You can get some terrific lunch/dinner items and you're a boat ride from the MK. The other perk is visiting the other hotels. You might find someplace new to stay.

Carribean Beach Resort- you can get a pasta dish with salad for under $10
POP Century has some great reasonable choices in its food court. (seafood/pasta/panini's) ***our favorite one due to variety***
PORiverside (might be in the process of refurbishment- call before you go)
POFrench Quarter
WL- just recently redid theirs- great healthy sandwiches and salads.

Bring your refillable mugs from wherever you're staying and save on drinks.

If you're staying on property you should have no problem getting in. Just tell Security that you're there to eat dinner.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

Well we rent a car every trip, with the AAA diamond pass and 2 small kids it is much faster to get in and out of the parks. We like to stay at POR, and when you leave WDW the back way by POR and come out by the LBV ale house and 535, alot of restaurants are just as convenient as going to the food court. We've eaten at pretty much every WDW restaurant and want a change sometimes.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom