In search of a puppy...

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Hey there...

Late April/early May I'll be ready for a puppy and I'm just wondering what fellow dog owners suggest.

Here is my criteria...

1. It has to be good with young children.
2. It has to be good with cats.
3. I have a decent sized yard which I plan on installing an invisible fence around.
4. I don't want a yelper...
5. Size doesn't matter :lookaroun
6. I'm not into froo-froo dogs (Shih-Tsu's, Bichon Frise, etc.)

Right now...the top 3 on my list are...

1. German Shepherd
2. English Bulldog
3. Boxer

Aurora_25

My DH had a golden retriever that was the sweetest dog ever and lived with 2 other yappy dogs...at my in-laws house since my DH ended up living in a apartment for a while and didn't have the room. The dog loved my kids and was very good even with my newborn son. So, you could at least put that on your consideration list- I hear that generally golden retrievers are great dogs (I don't know a whole lot about dogs honestly, but that would be my choice if we got a dog....)

tigsmom

Labs are great and very loyal - we loved ours for 13 years. The only problem is the tend to be a bit hyper for a few years until they mature, it can be worked around though. Our was very protective of the kids and her territory, but gentle.

The Mom

Premium Member
Our Vizsla was great with our daughter when she was little. When she was learning to walk, she pulled up on him in a most unfortunate manner, and he didn't even growl! He was very easy going, unless a stranger went near her if my husband and I weren't right there.

We didn't have any cats then, but I know our neighbor's cats went in our yard without any problems.

palmage

We have an Old English Sheep Dog and she is the most fantastic dog I've ever had.
I've had two Labs and they were great too, but this dog is almost human.

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Our Vizsla was great with our daughter when she was little. When she was learning to walk, she pulled up on him in a most unfortunate manner, and he didn't even growl! He was very easy going, unless a stranger went near her if my husband and I weren't right there.

We didn't have any cats then, but I know our neighbor's cats went in our yard without any problems.

I was actually looking at those...but 9 out of 10 websites say that they shouldn't be trusted around cats and smaller animals.

Beautiful animals though!

k.hunter30

Hey there...

Late April/early May I'll be ready for a puppy and I'm just wondering what fellow dog owners suggest.

Here is my criteria...

1. It has to be good with young children.
2. It has to be good with cats.
3. I have a decent sized yard which I plan on installing an invisible fence around.
4. I don't want a yelper...
5. Size doesn't matter :lookaroun
6. I'm not into froo-froo dogs (Shih-Tsu's, Bichon Frise, etc.)

Right now...the top 3 on my list are...

1. German Shepherd
2. English Bulldog
3. Boxer

Based on your criteria, I would rule out an English Bulldog - you can't completely rest assured that they will be good with kids. Of the three, I would go with a Boxer - they're beautiful, athletic dogs. If we had a larger back yard I would have gone with a Boxer. Since we don't we chose a pug instead (yes, big difference), and I am not dissapointed. She can't be any sweeter. She's as human-like as any dog gets. She's definitely not a "froo-froo" dog, doesn't yelp (snore and snort... maybe...:lookaroun ) and she is absolutely fabulous with kids. She likes to play with our cat a bit more than the cat would probably like, but they get along fairly well. Definitely not a lazy dog...

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Not to mention that mutts don't have any of the genetic problems purebreads can.

I completely agree that adoption is the humane way to go...

But I really don't understand this statement.

Why wouldn't they? Wouldn't it be just like my mother's family having a history of cancer and my dad's family having a history of heart disease...wouldn't that make me MORE prone to each rather than if they both had a clean bill of health?

For instance...if a German Shepherd and a Golden Retriever mated...they both have problems with hip dysplasia...because they're not purebreds they wouldn't?

BTW...I'm not saying that you're wrong...I just don't understand the logic.

hcswingfield

Some people think registered purebreds become a bit inbred. Like a family that always marries its cousins, it becomes more likely that both parents will be carrying a recessive gene. If only one parent has the recessive gene, the disorder will not show up in the offspring.

My brother's family has rescued several Golden Retrievers and Golden Retriever mixes from rescue services. All of them have been incredibly well behaved and loving pets. One goes to work with my brother every day and stays under his desk - never letting my brother get more than 3 feet away. (He owns his own business, so it's OK)

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Some people think registered purebreds become a bit inbred. Like a family that always marries its cousins, it becomes more likely that both parents will be carrying a recessive gene. If only one parent has the recessive gene, the disorder will not show up in the offspring.

My brother's family has rescued several Golden Retrievers and Golden Retriever mixes from rescue services. All of them have been incredibly well behaved and loving pets. One goes to work with my brother every day and stays under his desk - never letting my brother get more than 3 feet away. (He owns his own business, so it's OK)

Yes, I'd more likely choose a rescue dog over a shelter dog.

DisneyBunny

I completely agree that adoption is the humane way to go...

But I really don't understand this statement.

Why wouldn't they? Wouldn't it be just like my mother's family having a history of cancer and my dad's family having a history of heart disease...wouldn't that make me MORE prone to each rather than if they both had a clean bill of health?

For instance...if a German Shepherd and a Golden Retriever mated...they both have problems with hip dysplasia...because they're not purebreds they wouldn't?

BTW...I'm not saying that you're wrong...I just don't understand the logic.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that you're taking more of a risk when selecting a purebread dog. Not to say that mutts don't have their own share of problems, but I've personally known far too many people who spent hundreds of dollars on a puppy because they wanted a certain "type" and ended up paying thousands more in medical bills, and eventual heartache in the crippling of or loss of their their pet. Many many purebreads do end up having full, healthy lives, but to me, at least, I can't justify spending money on a dog just for the sake of saying it's purebread. There are too many homeless animals out there who need homes - many of whom are already mostly whatever breed you were looking for.

Also, many shelters now have programs that match your lifestyle to the personality of the animal. That way you're more likely to have a good match.

Here's the full story:

Purebreds are prone to health problems
  • Bone and joint disorders that cause lameness
  • Eye diseases that cause blindness
  • Sudden heart disease that causes early death
  • Epilepsy/seizures
  • Immune system diseases
  • Neurological diseases
  • Skin diseases
  • Bleeding disorders
  • Cancers and tumors
Over 300 genetic health defects have been documented in dogs, and in many purebreds, the incidence of defects is extremely high. Reasons for this include:
  1. A limited and closed gene pool. Most breeds were built on relatively few founding dogs, so the same sets of genes have been reproduced over and over since the breed began. Registries such as the AKC require that all future offspring come from the mating of dogs registered with their club. This restriction eliminates the vast majority of other dogs that would otherwise be available for breeding.
    Without the introduction of new and unrelated genes, in the long term all living creatures suffer "loss of genetic diversity," which inevitably leads to weaker animals with health problems. This is happening right now with purebred dogs.
  2. Breeding dogs to a detailed standard of appearance. Show breeders seek to produce dogs who match a written Standard of Conformation (for example, eyes a certain shape). To get these details right, show breeders limit the gene pool even more by rejecting breeding stock who might be healthy and good-tempered, but who can't "deliver" in eye shape.
    Breeding to some standard is how breeds are developed in the first place, but eventually it results in loss of genetic diversity, which as we've said, leads to problems with health and vigor.
  3. Breeding the same champion dogs over and over. This floods the breed not only with the same sets of good genes, but also with the same sets of bad genes.
    TEN-SECOND BIOLOGY LESSON:
    The average dog carries an estimated 4 to 6 defective genes in his DNA. These genes are usually recessive, which means a dog needs TWO of the same gene in order for the defect to be expressed. If he has only ONE of that gene, that means its partner gene (genes come in pairs) is normal and will "cover up" the defective gene. Such a dog will be a "carrier" of the defect, but he isn't himself sick.​
    But when the same few dogs are bred repeatedly, as is done with the most successful show dogs, their particular defective genes become more common throughout the breed. Then the chances are much greater that two dogs with the SAME defective gene will get bred together -- and the defect gets expressed.
  4. Frequent inbreeding. Many, many pedigrees show the same dog, or even several of the same dogs, listed twice in the first few generations. By breeding together two dogs who are closely related (who share many of the same genes), you run a greater risk of the same defective genes coming together in the puppies.
    Show breeders only call it "inbreeding" when they breed parent-to-offspring or brother-to-sister. They call it "linebreeding" when they breed grandparent-to-grandchild, uncle-to-niece, aunt-to-nephew, or cousin-to-cousin. But geneticists say that this is simply splitting hairs. Within the small gene pool of purebred dogs, all of these pairings are inbreeding.

5. T_dane.gif
    Making dogs larger and heavier. If you fool around too much with Mother Nature, you get increased bone and joint disorders, and a much shorter lifespan (7-10 years in many large breeds, compared to 13-16 years for smaller dogs).

If this risk is okay with you, and if you can afford the potential vet bills, fine. Just so you're aware.
  6. T_dachshund.gif
    Breeding for unnatural builds. Breeds with short faces (such as Bulldogs and Pugs) are sweet dogs, but they can't breathe normally and are prone to many health disorders. Breeds with long bodies (such as Dachshunds) are prone to crippling back problems and paralysis.

If this risk is okay with you, and if you can afford the potential vet bills, fine. Just so you're aware.

DisneyBunny

Not to mention what a wonderful lesson to teach kids, if you've got any...

Rescuing or adopting animals is a great way to foster a sense of responsibility!

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Not to mention what a wonderful lesson to teach kids, if you've got any...

Rescuing or adopting animals is a great way to foster a sense of responsibility!

I agree...

Most likely I'll be getting a rescue dog (which is why I'm inquiring on the breeds)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom