Behind being a Character at WDW

raven

By reading the title of this thread that it was going to be a story from a CM about their experience as a costumed character. I was kinda let down when it was all mostly about law suits, injuries and deaths. Only the last page gives a little insight about what kind of training they have.

In the book "Disney War" the authur of the book tells the readers in his foward about what it was like to train and be Goofy for a day. That was a good read! :wave:

jeffb

In the book "Disney War" the authur of the book tells the readers in his foward about what it was like to train and be Goofy for a day. That was a good read! :wave:

Completely agree with this, James Stewart does an A+ job in the forward on this topic.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I spoke with the writer before she wrote it, giving her some contact names and basic info... she wasn't going to paint them in a bad light.

I'm surprised it made the front page of the Slantinel though.

Cmdr_Crimson

I have to agree on this article costumes are heavy! I was former Rabbit & Martian at Six Flags and you got Attacked on a daily basis. The only bit of freedom you got was once you made it to the backstage which was your safehaven.

WDWKat26

You guys wanna know what goes on in the day of a character?

We sweat.
We take pictures.
We sign autographs.
We give hugs and kisses.
We sometimes get hit or kicked.
We sweat. A lot.

I honestly don't think many people realize how heavy the costumes truly are, and i'm glad this article was written. Some of you people might want to read it again and read a little more into the costume designs and such.

DisneyChik17

One of my friends who works at WDW was the mascot for our school. When he got to WDW they asked him if he would like be a character and he told them not for all the money in the world. I would hate to be in the big costume, but I would love to be Belle, only in the blue dress though not the gown. LOL!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I found it very interesting about having to use a forklift to get some characters up onto the floats.

PurpleDragon

Its great that they are doing research to try and make those costumes lighter and cooler, however many of the lighter cutting edge materials are terribly expensive. Hopefully in the next couple years they will be able to make those costumes out of a spaceage polymer that is light and breathable.

Before ever reading this article I already knew how hot and uncomfortable those character suits were, and I always used to comment to my wife how shocked I was that more people don't pass out in them during the hot summer months.

To those of you here who do the character thing, THANK YOU!! I just want to thank you for putting yourself thru hell (or what may feel like hell heat wise) to bring joy to a child and make a fond memory that will last a life time. :sohappy:

Mecha Figment

Its great that they are doing research to try and make those costumes lighter and cooler, however many of the lighter cutting edge materials are terribly expensive. Hopefully in the next couple years they will be able to make those costumes out of a spaceage polymer that is light and breathable.

Before ever reading this article I already knew how hot and uncomfortable those character suits were, and I always used to comment to my wife how shocked I was that more people don't pass out in them during the hot summer months.

To those of you here who do the character thing, THANK YOU!! I just want to thank you for putting yourself thru hell (or what may feel like hell heat wise) to bring joy to a child and make a fond memory that will last a life time. :sohappy:

please. you wont see that stuff for years. I mean they are still using costumes that were around in the 80's

although there are only a few.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom