News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Willmark

I think I hit the buzzword bingo with his rambling, non-sensical response.
I missed it but let me guess?

“Synergy”
“Drive value”
“Focus on core business”
“Go to Market”
“40,000 foot level”
“At the end of the day”
“Contain costs”
“Core alignment”
“Restructure departments”
“Realign with core values”
“Laser focused”

(Insert ones here)

yensid67

"Iger went on to list recent openings at Walt Disney World, including Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, the EPCOT transformation, and TRON Lightcycle Run at Magic Kingdom."

-NONE OF THIS will compete with what Universal is building. Yes, Disney will be OK, not great. All of the above things took 5 YEARS to build 1 Attraction...Universal BUILT an entire park in 5 years! What has DIsney done in 5 years? Gave us 1 attraction!
I am planning a October 2026 trip, the way Disney is nickel and diming guests, I personally WILL NOT go to Disney and not feel like I am not getting my monies worth. We have opted to spend the $179.00 and go to MNSSHP instead of a MK day! At least we will be getting a little more bang for our buck! and we will get to see a few things that day guests won't get to see, like the Headless Horseman, trick or treating!

Ismael Flores

It will be like any other time that Universal opens something big. When Islands of adventures open the fan based went crazy, what is Disney going to do to surpass this?
The IOA opened didn't do as well but did give Disney some competition then it settled down.

Next came Volcano Bay, Universal marketed as a an immersive theme park. What is Disney going to do?
it opened did well brought in the tourist but Disney did fine.

Epic will open to huge success, it will draw crowds like any brand new theme park for the first couple years then it will settle down. Disney will stagger open new lands and both Universal and Disney will do fine.

celluloid

It will be like any other time that Universal opens something big. When Islands of adventures open the fan based went crazy, what is Disney going to do to surpass this?
The IOA opened didn't do as well but did give Disney some competition then it settled down.

Next came Volcano Bay, Universal marketed as a an immersive theme park. What is Disney going to do?

Epic will open to huge success, it will draw crowds like any brand new theme park for the first couple years then it will settle down. Disney will stagger open new lands and both Universal and Disney will do fine.

Some facts misrepresenting historical context there.

Universal is a very different company at the top than they were in the early 2000s to late 2000's when IOA Struggled getting substantial attention(much of the resort did) Vivendi years that NBC and Comcast tried to steer right.

Comcast is the owner that has been willing to invest, even with their hiccups and creative misfires. They have invested.

As for Volcano Bay...

It indeed narrowed the gap quite a bit.

Actually, you won't see both of WDW's waterparks open very often at the same time compared to before, and they will give you waterparks free with onsite hotels. For a waterpark expansion, it made a HUGE impact.

Not even counting Potter and guest time and money spent changes.

To think Disney should do nothing when Universal builds is a logical fallacy that has been wrong since they rushed a park back in 1989.

Andrew25

Yes, both will be fine, and they'll both see attendance increases.

BUT, there's serious concern over whether Disney "loses" a day to Epic now that Universal offers serious opportunities to visit. If all 4 WDW parks we're built with enough capacity, WDW wouldn't have to worry about losing a day to Epic or the other UOR parks. But Disney has serious issues with not having enough in one park (DAK) and capacity woes at another (DHS).

J4546

just wanted to chime in and say Volcano Bay is awesome, will def be going back next FL trip

UNCgolf

Yes, both will be fine, and they'll both see attendance increases.

BUT, there's serious concern over whether Disney "loses" a day to Epic now that Universal offers serious opportunities to visit. If all 4 WDW parks we're built with enough capacity, WDW wouldn't have to worry about losing a day to Epic or the other UOR parks. But Disney has serious issues with not having enough in one park (DAK) and capacity woes at another (DHS).

I don't think it's a serious concern until Universal does a major overhaul of USF. It will be by far the weakest park among the seven -- people can just stop in there for a couple of hours to do Diagon Alley and maybe Revenge of the Mummy then ride the Hogwarts Express back over to IoA for the rest of their day.

For me, both IoA and USF are easily doable in a single day (especially with Express Pass), mainly because USF has almost nothing (IoA doesn't really offer that much to me either, but it has enough for other guests).

I think it would be tough to skip any of the four Disney parks in favor of spending a full day at USF in its current state.

Last edited:

Mark Dunne

I think you are wrong about them not needing anything new. they are probably 12-16 attractions low . They have 25% more guests and no net new attractions ( many worse if you gauge it by guest through put by hour). This has lead to the mess WDW is now. They haven't invested enough over the last 15 years and where they did invest, the money wasn't spent wisely. Almost as if they have lost the knowledge of how to run a theme park. The decision makers don't walk in their guests footsteps so they don't have a clue.
I see what your saying, so if they fix say imagination , plus that Pixar shorts movie, that used to be HISTA, that’s 2, over to Mk fix what I said with top attractions , that’s another 3 or maybe 4, so that say 6 attractions that would help even the parks out a bit, there to many weak attractions , the amount of people now in these parks needs big crowd eaters ,and what’s better than a theatre to solve that issue, I agree they have been far to slow in acting , wait til 2025 comes around , interesting times ahead for sure !

flynnibus

Premium Member

UNI Is doing more than fine... they've doubled their hotel count... they can maintain prices higher than Disney.. and are set to expand yet again.

That kind of customer volume doesn't come w/o some opportunity loss for Disney.

"Fine" isn't the standard either company is aiming for.

fgmnt

"Iger went on to list recent openings at Walt Disney World, including Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, the EPCOT transformation, and TRON Lightcycle Run at Magic Kingdom."

-NONE OF THIS will compete with what Universal is building. Yes, Disney will be OK, not great. All of the above things took 5 YEARS to build 1 Attraction...Universal BUILT an entire park in 5 years! What has DIsney done in 5 years? Gave us 1 attraction!
I am planning a October 2026 trip, the way Disney is nickel and diming guests, I personally WILL NOT go to Disney and not feel like I am not getting my monies worth. We have opted to spend the $179.00 and go to MNSSHP instead of a MK day! At least we will be getting a little more bang for our buck! and we will get to see a few things that day guests won't get to see, like the Headless Horseman, trick or treating!
All of these things were initiated 7+ years ago.

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
"We've been aware of Universal's plans for a new park for more than a decade. And we have a sophisticated approach to analyzing the needs of all of our businesses and strategically deploying capital."
Translation: We don't have the capability to dynamically respond to our competition because of our sophisticated organizational limitations.
"By staggering these major launches, we've been able to commercially and operationally optimize our new offerings over time, rather than having to do it all at once. And based on the guest experience that we've heard all about, from all of these items that I just mentioned, we know that they're extremely popular and they're serving our guests extremely well."
Translation: New stuff cost money and we have to make sure that D+ becomes profitable at all costs. Also our internal surveys revealed that guests can't get enough of perpetual construction walls.

Disney Analyst

I don't think it's a serious concern until Universal does a major overhaul of USF. It will be by far the weakest park among the seven -- people can just stop in there for a couple of hours to do Diagon Alley and maybe Revenge of the Mummy then ride the Hogwarts Express back over to IoA for the rest of their day.

For me, both IoA and USF are easily doable in a single day (especially with Express Pass), mainly because USF has almost nothing (IoA doesn't really offer much to me either, but it has enough for other guests).

I think it would be tough to skip any of the four Disney parks in favor of spending a full day at USF in its current state.

I firmly agree that USF stands to lose the most from EU.

Disney Analyst

I think Universal also agrees with this, and it is a concern for them. The funny thing is, they really believed that F&F would be a huge hit. I think anyone from the outside looking in could have told them better.

And even Diagon is an easy skip at this point. The better attractions are in Hogsmeade, and the newest Harry Potter addition will be in EU, so if you are going to skip a park, USF becomes the obvious choice.

Rich Brownn

IOA outdrew all Disney parks except the MK last year. There's blood in the water :)

Gringrinngghost

Bob Iger sheds light on Disney's response to upcoming Universal Epic Universe in Orlando​

Guess its time for the bombardment of the nonsensical postings about how Disney has nothing in the pipeline to compete with Epic Universe... of course they would not want to announce an investment like that just haphazardly. It makes sense for them to be wait for Epic Universe opens to announce a fifth gate, to draw interest away from them. But then again, and I said this on twitter, some of you clamoring for answers are the same type to say Bay Lake Tower wasn’t a hotel let alone a project when it was 40ft off the ground then because Disney didn't announce it.

Rich Brownn

I think Universal also agrees with this, and it is a concern for them. The funny thing is, they really believed that F&F would be a huge hit. I think anyone from the outside looking in could have told them better.
Not the exec's in Florida. They didn't want the damn thing. But the higher ups approved it on the condition the budget build two for cost sharing. They were stuck with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom