HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

BrianLo

I think this is quite possibly the most charming land extension imagineering has built in 30 years, with a subtle nod to Baxter’s Fantasy Fare. It’s perfect for HKDL, which is not a Magic Kingdom… it’s a “Disneyland” through and through.

While I get the desire for a major e ticket and the park certainly deserve that, the attraction lineup is very Fantasyland appropriate.

I’m sure Tokyo Disney Seas attraction and land will be more impressive, but certainly not more charming.

Supersnow84

HK does get a lot of style points for charm and feeling more like Disneyland than Disneyland but there is an argument to be made that charm doesn’t go far enough

HK’s best years came before Shanghai when it’s full first expansion was open and the park was coming into its own as a “Disneyland”, then Shanghai opened a “magic kingdom” and completely crushed HK despite have an arguably equal lineup, it seems that besides Disneyland itself people prefer magic kingdoms to disneylands

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
HK does get a lot of style points for charm and feeling more like Disneyland than Disneyland but there is an argument to be made that charm doesn’t go far enough

HK’s best years came before Shanghai when it’s full first expansion was open and the park was coming into its own as a “Disneyland”, then Shanghai opened a “magic kingdom” and completely crushed HK despite have an arguably equal lineup, it seems that besides Disneyland itself people prefer magic kingdoms to disneylands
This isn't a complete smear against HKDL, I think it's actually becoming a really solid 7/10 park, but charm isn't the reason for HKDL's historically poor attendance: the answer is a weaker product.

I think it's more the fact that Shanghai at opening was an infinitely more impressive park than HKDL even after Mystic Point opened. Yes, I'm aware that Shanghai feels like EPCOT in the sense there are numerous large expansion plots creating distance between things which is even more prominent in Shanghai, but it's still leagues better-themed throughout the park and has far more to do. I went to both resorts for 2 full days back to back in 2018, and my entire party felt the same.

Also, while on the topic of familiarity, during the COVID lockdowns I actually built most of Hong Kong Disneyland in Minecraft with some friends to perfect scale and accuracy (we were that bored!), so I'm intimately familiar with the park on a really dumb level. 😂

Now, people are free to feel differently about what they enjoy more, but in the consistency in theming quality and ride line-ups, there is no comparison. Shanghai is likely also getting yet another headliner with Zootopia in a park that already has what I feel is the greatest ride ever made: Battle for the Sunken Treasure. That's alongside E-tickets like TRON and Roaring Rapids, a really good Peter Pan's Flight, Soarin', Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, etc.

Hong Kong's only really good E-ticket is Mystic Manor despite it not being a true headliner, and the park's original areas still suffer from weak theming, especially in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. It's even noticeable that Main Street didn't have as much money thrown at it as it should've had. It really only has 3 E-tickets: Mystic, Grizzly (isn't that well executed), and Space (I don't feel like the non-Paris/Orlando versions are all that great). I guess if you're being generous you could toss in Jungle Cruise though I feel like it's more of a D in today's world. Iron Man Experience is bad; let's not even discuss Ant-Man. I'm just thankful Small World found its way over. Both parks have wonderful shows!

Side note: in Grizzly's case, I feel like it is trying to be a tamer Expedition Everest, with an E-ticket scale that almost matches, but it's so poorly executed, from the long straight sections to the wonky pacing that I feel like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is actually the better ride despite it being shorter and more of a D-ticket in scale. HKDL reminds me of Universal Studios Florida in the sense that many of its rides besides the masterful Mystic Manor aren't as good as they should be.

3 E-tickets is nothing. Disneyland has charm but has like 11 or 12, and then also far more small-scaled rides. HKDL just doesn't have either. Even after this Frozen expansion, which looks stunning, it still won't hold a candle to any other castle park. That's its problem.

That being said, it's not bad anymore, but it also needs more to really be comparable. Hong Kong Disneyland also isn't cheap to visit when compared to SDR and TDR in ticket and food prices. I could totally see myself making a trip specifically to Shanghai Disneyland if I'm in the region at some point, but the only way I'd be inclined to go back to HKDL for a day is if I'm visiting Hong Kong itself. In Tokyo's case, it's worth traveling thousands of miles to visit it alone.

Still, I am quite pleased that there's variation in Disney's worldwide parks. It would be boring if they were all monolithic, so I love the quaintness you feel at HKDL. It's still a lovely park and one that is now finding its identity, so you combine that unique trait with an ever expanding park and its future is yet brighter than ever despite its issues.

Supersnow84

It’s good to see varying viewpoints

I agree the legacy land theming is pretty bad (Adventureland being the one noticeable exception) though I do think you are being a bit generous with Shanghai’s pros, the only land I think is legit well themed at Shanghai is Tomorrowland, Shanghai has easily the most soulless fantasyland and treasure cove/adventure island feel like a wonky fusion of Adventureland and Frontierland that doesn’t suit either, Mickey avenue is also a pretty big joke. And as you pointed out Shanghai truly suffers from the Epcot problem of an enormous park that is relatively empty.

Shanghai’s one Standout is its e ticket attraction lineup which dwarfs HK, I personally like big grizzly but more so because of how much kinetic energy it provides to the land as a whole, even so HK falls away quickly after that, however Shanghai has the opposite problem where if you don’t want to wait 3 hours for pirates then it has almost nothing to do, HK outshines it on auxiliary attractions and shows

Ultimately I think HK desperately needs its e ticket headliner because mystic manor while being absolutely incredible just doesn’t have presence like pirates or FOP or ROTR, Shanghai opened “good enough” while HK didn’t and I think it’s still struggling to get out from under that bad reputation, I agree though that HK won’t stand against the 4 old castle parks without at least 2 more lands and 3 e tickets on top of arendelle and quinjet

cjkeating

View attachment 742554View attachment 742555View attachment 742557View attachment 742563View attachment 742564View attachment 742565View attachment 742566

Well it certainly looks better than the EPCOT version but does anyone else feel like it still looks kinda flat and kinda old fashioned

The land is gonna struggle if it’s star headliner doesn’t wow
Is it just me who has always been bothered by the trolls watching the Frozen movie on their TV in that scene? I hate it.

J4546

It’s good to see varying viewpoints

I agree the legacy land theming is pretty bad (Adventureland being the one noticeable exception) though I do think you are being a bit generous with Shanghai’s pros, the only land I think is legit well themed at Shanghai is Tomorrowland, Shanghai has easily the most soulless fantasyland and treasure cove/adventure island feel like a wonky fusion of Adventureland and Frontierland that doesn’t suit either, Mickey avenue is also a pretty big joke. And as you pointed out Shanghai truly suffers from the Epcot problem of an enormous park that is relatively empty.

Shanghai’s one Standout is its e ticket attraction lineup which dwarfs HK, I personally like big grizzly but more so because of how much kinetic energy it provides to the land as a whole, even so HK falls away quickly after that, however Shanghai has the opposite problem where if you don’t want to wait 3 hours for pirates then it has almost nothing to do, HK outshines it on auxiliary attractions and shows

Ultimately I think HK desperately needs its e ticket headliner because mystic manor while being absolutely incredible just doesn’t have presence like pirates or FOP or ROTR, Shanghai opened “good enough” while HK didn’t and I think it’s still struggling to get out from under that bad reputation, I agree though that HK won’t stand against the 4 old castle parks without at least 2 more lands and 3 e tickets on top of arendelle and quinjet
i disagree and think treasure cove is one of the best looking lands ever.

co10064

Premium Member
Is the Arendelle castle anything more than a facade? Does the Frozen Ever After queue wind through it at all?

disney.dreams

Is the Arendelle castle anything more than a facade? Does the Frozen Ever After queue wind through it at all?
sadly no, u will enter the massive show building under the north mountain, passing by kristoff’s workshop and ice storage, and reached the royal pier (?) (so you kinda enter the castle area in terms of the storyline)

MagicHK

IMG_9868.jpeg

It is meant to be a “prop castle” from day one which make sense to better utilize the space and planning to give the land a deeper feel. Having a real scale castle will just make the land small and fighting with the new castle not far away. I kind of look forward seeing the walk through of the FEA hk version. It seems like the outdoor space continues after passing by the clock tower.

Last edited:

Supersnow84

View attachment 743140

It is a meant to be a “prop castle” from day one which make sense to better utilize the space and planning to give the land a deeper feeling. Having a real scale castle will just make the land small and kinda fighting with the new castle which is not far away. I kind of look forward seeing the walk through of the FEA hk version. It seems like the outdoor space continues after passing by the clock tower.
From what was said above from someone who did a cast preview the land already feels super small so I’m guessing a full sized castle would have made the land feel tiny

BrianLo

I have a soft spot for HKDL. Within the context of HKDL, Small world, Jungle cruise and Iron Man are all headliners. I get that it’s hard to draw comparisons between the other parks and ‘rank’ the attractions, but that’s what they are. Functionally the pulls of their various lands. I have no aspirations that FEA needs to be considered an E ticket on the world stage either, but that is what it will be for HKDL.

This does not take away that yes HKDL deserves a functional, world stage ‘F-ticket’. I also side with SDL is still somewhat objectively a more robust park on the world stage. Though I’d never tell anyone to fly to visit either in a silo, Hong Kong I prefer over Shanghai in terms of city pairs. SDL is more impressive for a Magic Kingdom/Epcot fan.

Hopefully the new DCL Adventure does some HKDL itineraries.

I think the preference for the park comes down to one’s affinity for charm versus scale. Neither is wrong per say. They are honestly like two sides of the coin, which is kind of nice. Though SDL will continue to probably accelerate as a resort and pull more clearly in front long term.

As mentioned, neither are monolithic or copy cats. I’m very glad both exist.

Supersnow84

I have a soft spot for HKDL. Within the context of HKDL, Small world, Jungle cruise and Iron Man are all headliners. I get that it’s hard to draw comparisons between the other parks and ‘rank’ the attractions, but that’s what they are. Functionally the pulls of their various lands. I have no aspirations that FEA needs to be considered an E ticket on the world stage either, but that is what it will be for HKDL.

This does not take away that yes HKDL deserves a functional, world stage ‘F-ticket’. I also side with SDL is still somewhat objectively a more robust park on the world stage. Though I’d never tell anyone to fly to visit either in a silo, Hong Kong I prefer over Shanghai in terms of city pairs. SDL is more impressive for a Magic Kingdom/Epcot fan.

Hopefully the new DCL Adventure does some HKDL itineraries.

I think the preference for the park comes down to one’s affinity for charm versus scale. Neither is wrong per say. They are honestly like two sides of the coin, which is kind of nice. Though SDL will continue to probably accelerate as a resort and pull more clearly in front long term.

As mentioned, neither are monolithic or copy cats. I’m very glad both exist.
There is an interesting idea that someone brought up though (it honestly might have been me I truly can’t remember) that if Shanghai is pulling 12 million but has a theoretical saturation point of 15 while HK is pulling 3 (about 7 or so in real terms) and has a saturation point of about 11-13 it might actually be more profitable in the medium term to expand HK first to push it towards that saturation point because with Shanghai you are more fighting to get the existing market to stay longer at the resort

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom