News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

Robbiem

From what I could tell, a lot of people were going back again and again. The problem was that this didn't seem to expand the audience. Put another way, the kind of person who was going wasn't like "This is a really cool experience and I might go again but I'll definitely recommend it to my friends Andrew and Jennica and their three kids and also my friends Bailey and John and their kids and my friend Steve, he really likes Star Wars" because presumably the experience was still too weird and to expensive to be something you'd recommend even in well-off circles. Instead, it was "I'm going to go again as my character and try to get a different ending. Let me get into this already established Facebook group of Starcruiser vets and see what's the best way to book another trip."

That meant that if you were a normal type coming in for a one and done, once in a lifetime experience with your kids, you were competing against heavily invested grown adults. Disney pulled the plug before it happened but I guarantee that had they let the project go further, they would have gotten public complaints from families who were mad that Jayden got cut out of meeting Chewbacca because a bunch of 45 year old singles got there first. And then they'd get replies from angry cosplayers who basically feel like they're paying to do Disney's job and add color--"Bailey and her brat don't know anything about the secrets of the Force, I created a character with a ten page backstory and a $500 costume, I PAID." Combine that with social media making everyone involved way too parasocially close to each other and WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST DO THE DINNER SHOW. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE
Really interesting. I could definitely have seen this playing out as you describe had they carried on

Robbiem

HS has a ton of room for expansion.

View attachment 737662

Weren't’ there various past plans about building parking garages and expanding across world drive as well.

I always thought the site for the studios was an odd choice. I always thought one of the areas either side of world drive between epcot and the TTC would have been better but I’ve no idea if they were suitable. I always assumed it was built there as part of the boardwalk area construction

pdude81

I had already seen calls for adult-only cruises by some of the fanboys/fangirls upset by the amount of attention characters gave children.
This is true, but most of the reports I saw complaining about children were that their parents left them wandering and swarming characters rather than interacting or pursuing any part of the story. It's hard to sneak Chewbacca past security when 15 children are yelling his name and asking him questions.

I didn't see any of that so I can't corroborate.

Darth Snips

For all who are interested, this review/retrospective is absolutely worth a read:

This gentleman is a game dev who got to experience Starcruiser recently, and this is his excellent write-up on the experience.

I know this experiment had it's flaws (especially financially), but not enough people are giving credit to how truly extraordinary this project was. I only hope someone, be it Disney or, more likely, some other entity, chooses to continue experimenting with this form of entertainment.

This level of creativity and boldness is what this industry needs right now.

MagicHappens1971

For all who are interested, this review/retrospective is absolutely worth a read:

This gentleman is a game dev who got to experience Starcruiser recently, and this is his excellent write-up on the experience.

I know this experiment had it's flaws (especially financially), but not enough people are giving credit to how truly extraordinary this project was. I only hope someone, be it Disney or, more likely, some other entity, chooses to continue experimenting with this form of entertainment.

Tread carefully. I got bashed for giving similar praises many many pages back.

asianway

The marketing for this was terrible start to finish. The local blogger Corps is suited to sell cupcake parties not $5000 experiences

MagicHappens1971

The marketing for this was terrible start to finish. The local blogger Corps is suited to sell cupcake parties not $5000 experiences
I’ve said it a million times and I’ll say it again, the marketing for this was GARBAGE.

Even those in leadership at Starcruiser were basically begging Disney to redo the marketing and actually show what makes the experience special…. they didn’t get very far.

UNCgolf

The booing, cheering, interjections etc. from other guests sound like they'd go a long way towards screwing up the experience.

I personally would much rather play a video game version of this than one that takes place in real life for many reasons (the other guests being only a tiny part of that), but it does feel like this kind of experience does has a future as a niche offering for a specific group of people. I think the price tag is always going to be a significant limiting factor though -- I don't see how you could ever offer something like this without charging an arm and leg due to the underlying costs.

Last edited:

CAV

From what I could tell, a lot of people were going back again and again. The problem was that this didn't seem to expand the audience. Put another way, the kind of person who was going wasn't like "This is a really cool experience and I might go again but I'll definitely recommend it to my friends Andrew and Jennica and their three kids and also my friends Bailey and John and their kids and my friend Steve, he really likes Star Wars" because presumably the experience was still too weird and to expensive to be something you'd recommend even in well-off circles. Instead, it was "I'm going to go again as my character and try to get a different ending. Let me get into this already established Facebook group of Starcruiser vets and see what's the best way to book another trip."

That meant that if you were a normal type coming in for a one and done, once in a lifetime experience with your kids, you were competing against heavily invested grown adults. Disney pulled the plug before it happened but I guarantee that had they let the project go further, they would have gotten public complaints from families who were mad that Jayden got cut out of meeting Chewbacca because a bunch of 45 year old singles got there first. And then they'd get replies from angry cosplayers who basically feel like they're paying to do Disney's job and add color--"Bailey and her brat don't know anything about the secrets of the Force, I created a character with a ten page backstory and a $500 costume, I PAID." Combine that with social media making everyone involved way too parasocially close to each other and WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST DO THE DINNER SHOW. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE
Wait..what???? Disney closed it because it was going to SO be popular it was going to create dissention between guests????? Thats a good one.

kingdead

Wait..what???? Disney closed it because it was going to be popular it was going to create dissention between guests????? Thats a good one.
It was the same people coming back again and again to the point where newcomers would have a problem integrating into the storyline.

This was a really fun experience for a self selecting crowd and there was no way to offset the sour grapes once the price points were announced. Part of the problem is that Galaxy's Edge itself is remarkably poor value for the normal paying guest; it's two rides, one of which is unreliable, and that's it unless you're willing to put more money down. Had there been more free experiences in the park itself or even more exciting, less exclusive upcharges a la the Harry Potter wands, I don't think the Starcruiser would have gotten quite the same backlash, but they chose to design the park in the absolutely most extractive way possible and I don't think that some online griping is a particularly unjust reaction.

Robbiem

As a former “Crew Member” of the Halcyon, the adults were always much worse than the children as far as it went on “hoarding” character interactions and disrupting story moments.
I hope you have managed to find a new job. I feel sorry for the cast members who have lost their jobs because of this closure

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Seems crazy to build it like that then. Why not build the parking up against victory way and leave the expansion behind the park? I know hindsight and all, but it would've avoided issues with fireworks launch being across the street and issues with the cyprus mound

At the time that land was set aside for conservation, it was only recently released from that. They built the park and parking lot where it was easiest to build at the time and space was left for expansion. There is a limit to how far ahead you really want to look on these things.

Bocabear

At the time that land was set aside for conservation, it was only recently released from that. They built the park and parking lot where it was easiest to build at the time and space was left for expansion. There is a limit to how far ahead you really want to look on these things.
Yes to a degree, but anyone could see that the footprint was limited for any sort of expansion...I know the whole park was a sort of knee-jerk reaction to the Universal project beginning down the road, and when opened it was quite small and had few attractions...but with the amount of property Disney owns, it seems strange to have placed it right there... Maybe planning for intermodal transportation in the future which sort of happened with the skyway thing...and proximity to the World Drive already built... but they did seem to hamstring the park from the beginning.

MagicHappens1971

I hope you have managed to find a new job. I feel sorry for the cast members who have lost their jobs because of this closure
It’s been stated on here but the majority of the Passenger Services crew is CPs. My CP ended months ago but I do have friends who are still on board and have no idea where they’ll be going, but from my understanding they will be trying to re-home everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom