Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was watching a YouTube video the other day that compared Marvel movies and it was shocking how much the production costs have gone up.

The cost to make them has gone up about $100 million across the board.

$150 million for an older Marvel movie compared to $250 million for a new one seemed about average. That $100 million difference happened over about 5 years.

The average cost of an MCU movie is $200M.

The 3rd, 6th, and 7th movies (out of 30) were already hitting $200. Gaurdians (the 10th movie) cost $232. So, the idea that the first batch of MCU movies were $100M cheaper is false.

And the average over all is artificially higher because of the spectacles of the Avenger movies, which are unsurprisingly more costly.

The first batch of MCU movies that weren't hitting $200 were in the $140-$175 range. It would be very inaccurate to say that the current batch of movies is $100 more than that. Ant-Man & the Wasp, Far From Home, and Shang-Chi were all made in that same range.

1672181529652.png

1672181564221.png

Jedijax719

If BPWF had Avatar2's slot and had the holiday to itself, it would end up making a LOT more-probably between $540-$570 million domestic and closer to a billion WW. Still not as high as the first one for obvious reasons, but the holidays would have created a very different box office climate.

It would probably have made what Avatar2 is going to end up making domestic. Not WW, but domestic.

Ghost93

If BPWF had Avatar2's slot and had the holiday to itself, it would end up making a LOT more-probably between $540-$570 million domestic and closer to a billion WW. Still not as high as the first one for obvious reasons, but the holidays would have created a very different box office climate.

It would probably have made what Avatar2 is going to end up making domestic. Not WW, but domestic.
I'm not sure. While I like Wakanda Forever a lot as a movie, by focusing so much on grief and mourning loved ones it makes the movie bittersweet at best and a downer at worst. Now personally, I like a good cry, which is why I saw the movie twice in theaters. But during the holidays, I think people want escapism. And Wakanda Forever — as good as it is — is not the escapist entertainment the first one was due to being a memorial to Chadwick Boseman.

Avatar: The Way of Water is a generally more uplifting film despite having some sad moments. And its themes about family make it a more fitting holiday movie than Wakanda Forever.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
WAAAYYY too soon! Another example of how Disney’s focus on streaming is cutting into their box office revenues!
The old standard for tentpoles was 90 days in the theaters, so... off by a week.

Perhaps you're remembering that there were other "pay windows" such as PPV, Premium Channels, DVD, and then broadcast which kept a movie from getting to TV for at least 6 months.

Ghost93

The old standard for tentpoles was 90 days in the theaters, so... off by a week.

Perhaps you're remembering that there were other "pay windows" such as PPV, Premium Channels, DVD, and then broadcast which kept a movie from getting to TV for at least 6 months.
I miss the days of 120-180 theatrical windows. But then again, I'm firmly on the team of "protect theatrical moviegoing at all costs!"

Marvel is the one franchise that can't afford such lengthy theatrical windows because they release 3-4 movies a year now.

_caleb

Sorry- this was an attempt at a joke. I was teasing all the armchair box office experts in this thread.
I do hope everyone watches Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, and though!

Animaniac93-98

Less than 90 days after its theatrical release.

Had a feeling this would be the case, which is why I didn't want to pay to see it in theaters too.

Phroobar

Less than 90 days after its theatrical release.

Had a feeling this would be the case, which is why I didn't want to pay to see it in theaters too.
That isn't even enough time to sell DVDs or show on pay-per-view. Remember when we had to wait seven years to see Star Wars on tv. It was years before it was on VHS.

_caleb

That isn't even enough time to sell DVDs or show on pay-per-view. Remember when we had to wait seven years to see Star Wars on tv. It was years before it was on VHS.
I would think it's safe to say that neither DVDs nor pay-per-view continue to be reliable growth areas for The Walt Disney Company.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I would think it's safe to say that neither DVDs nor pay-per-view continue to be reliable growth areas for The Walt Disney Company.
PVOD is the new pay-per-view and I would say it can be a growth area for TWDC, they really do need to lean into the PVOD model more with digital rentals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom